Author Topic: Pulling a pickup on a dolly  (Read 3460 times)

Offline m_fumich

Pulling a pickup on a dolly
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:08:15 AM »
Is there any reason I shouldn’t tow an ‘88 Nisssan pickup on a dolly with the drive wheels on the ground without dropping the driveshaft? It’s a stick. It’s only going 20 miles.

I had a roofer do some work on my roof. While chatting, he said he needed someone to haul off a truck for scrap. Since I’m looking for a truck, I asked a few questions. It’s a ‘93 Ford F-150 Supercab with a 5.8L and it has a blown head gasket. While that could be a big problem, it could be an non-complicated fix. But the roofer doesn’t know how to do it. He only wants $350 for the truck. He also has an ‘88 Nissan pickup that needs a clutch master cylinder reservoir. That’s an easy fix but the roofer doesn’t even know how to bleed a clutch or brake system. A couple hours after he left, he messaged me and said if I’d fix the Nissan, he’d give me the Ford. Now I need to get the Nissan to my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

Re: Pulling a pickup on a dolly
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 06:53:33 PM »
Take longer to get it towed that to just replace the MC onsite.

But I wouldn't think twice about towing a standard in neutral just keep the speeds down below 75mph and you should be ok.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »

Take longer to get it towed that to just replace the MC onsite.

I’ve considered that. And he doesn’t need the whole master cylinder replaced, just the reservoir. I don’t have to be gentle with it taking it off. If it breaks, big deal. But I’ll definitely need a second person for bleeding the system.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
I`d tow it carefully home, that way he won`t see what an easy fix it was and back out of your deal.
Keep the magic secret.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline m_fumich

Pulling a pickup on a dolly
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:13:05 PM »
I don’t have a way to tow it. But considering the deal, I’d be willing to rent a tow dolly. I’m going to try to get over to his place tomorrow to fix it while he’s out on a roofing job.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:22:07 PM by m_fumich »