Author Topic: 1995 Isuzu Rodeo Fuel tank replacement -  (Read 4291 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
1995 Isuzu Rodeo Fuel tank replacement -
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
The '95 Rodeo has over 200K miles on it and while visiting my BIL a few years ago it crapped out -- fuel pump quit and no amount of banging on the tank would let it go. It would work sporadically, but not long enough to make a difference. It needs a new pump and all I had was my road tool box. We'll see if the tools that I chose for that box really can do a major repair.

Since this is a 20+ year old car, I have two choices -- cut a hole in the rear deck to get at the pump assembly, or remove the fuel tank. I'm very leery of taking the tank out because everything under this vehicle is totally corroded. I'll probably break most of the fasteners and it will turn into a nightmare.

First things first -- pull the fuel pump relay and crank the engine to relieve the residual pressure in the system. Then disconnect the battery.

Next remove the carpet and trim and plan to cut the hole in the rear floor deck.

I saw the spot welds for the floor cross members and since the tank sits between these to members, all I had to do is "ball park" the location of the pump assembly.

I put a piece of 2x4 under the deck to keep the drill from hitting anything vital for the pilot hole --

I had my wife bring me my air hammer and panel cutter bit --

Well, it seems the entire top of the pump assembly is totally rotted -- and leaking fuel. This approach was a waste. I need a new tank.
It's for this exact reason I would never use a plasma or cutting disk for this type of work. You never know if the pump  or tank is leaking or weeping fuel. Best to use an air hammer and a panel cutter. (My BIL luckily has a Sears 20gal air compressor)

Most of the bolts had to be chiseled off with the air hammer

After an hour or so the tank and rock guard came free --

Between the air hammer and a portable Skill SawzAll, the rusted nuts and brackets were removed.

I can't say enough about these Lenox saw blades. It cut brackets, bolts and hoses like butter.

The next day I managed to locate a new tank at the local auto salvage yard and used the sawzall to do most of the heavy lifting in removing the replcement tank. Great tool -- love this Skill saw.

To be extra sure I located a new fuel pump for $22 and installed that pump in the salvaged tank -- no need to take chances.

The new pump was installed and the salvaged tank is ready to go

Connections were soldered and the tank installed --- the car started up with no problem, and the new pump seems to be working very well. I drove home and will have to weld the floor back into the rear deck. A job for tomorrow.