Author Topic: wondered about showing your drivers license  (Read 3450 times)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
wondered about showing your drivers license
« on: June 03, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
I drive a truck. Fortunately it is for a pretty big nationwide company. I am sometimes asked to show a drivers license for entry into places. I show them my company issued picture id and most of the time this is fine. The company requires me to show the actual license when it is a government place(joint reserve base, mint, some of the military aircraft manufacturers), but stands by the employees right to decline others.

Moving on to the other day. I go to a sports team venue. Delivered there many times before. I didn't even make it out of my cab and the guard was on me in the street. I moved us to the front of the truck and he was badgering me to show him my drives license so he could write my name and the license number on his list on a clipboard. Now I don't know about you but I'm not letting some yahoo write down that type of info on a piece of paper that will go who knows where. I show him my company is and he wasn't having any of that.

So we move on to his little guard shack and he calls someone to see about the company issued picture id. It has a number he could use but the person on the other end of he line wasn't satisfied. I thanked the guy and told him have a great day and went back to my truck. Called my place and the lady at our place made a call but was rebuffed also. So I brought the freight back.

I guess the sticking point to me was the list this guy had of names and drivers license numbers. Anyone else find this to be a problem and why we have such a rash of identity theft in this country?
Rich

Offline ken w.

Re: wondered about showing your drivers license
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
Identity theft is a huge problem in this country.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
I don't give personal info out to anybody. Yes I have had to show my DL to enter military bases or federal installations and sometimes they want insurance info also. Pre-911 I was waved right through the gates of bases as long as the company name was on the truck. If a duly authorized peace officer requests it you have to show it. Joe Blow rent-a-cop doesn't need to see it if I'm wearing a company ID. He could see it but not write anything down.

Of course I don't have to do that anymore but I can imagine how strict places want to be today and in some cases you can't really blame them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:39:45 PM »
I don't show my drivers license unless I'm legally required to do so. As of next year AZ will go to a mandatory REAL ID kind of license, heaven knows how much personal info is gonna get hacked by everyone with a badge or the right electronic equipment.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:04:03 PM »
You did the right thing for sure.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »
You should try working in a nuclear energy facility, you have to show an ID to go take a dump.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 07:43:47 AM »
I have been to our local nuclear plant in Glen Rose. They scan the license. No list of hand written names and numbers. They also do a petty thorough inspection of the vehicle and its contents. The line can get quite long on a busy day.
Rich

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »
If a duly authorized peace officer requests it you have to show it.

The law says you must identify yourself if an Officer (not Security Guard) asks you.  That means verbally provide name and address.  This applies anywhere, operating a vehicle, riding a bike, walking, sitting on a park bench, whatever.  If you are operating a motor vehicle w/o having a drivers license on your person, you may or may not get a ticket, at the Officer's discretion.

"Officer, I must have left it in my other coat at home, I'm happy to identify myself to you.  My name is (give your real name and address)"., If you are the registered owner of the plates and vehicle, Let him know "I'm the registered owner of the vehicle and/or plates".  Or, "I'm the son/daughter of the registered Owner".  He probably already ran the plates before he walked up to your car.   

Not the OP's question, but something that people sometimes forget.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:38:20 AM by RustFarmer »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
Big 10-4, Rust Farmer.

SCOTUS decided we must identify ourselves when police ask - they DID NOT say we had to prove our identity.

Although in AZ, it's a moot point. The AZ supreme Court has allowed to stand a law that drivers must submit to a blood draw if police ask. Not agreeing - or just not saying anything - means you automatically lose your drivers license for 12-24 months. Period. Then they get an email search warrant from a e-judge on call, and they have 5 or 6 cops physically hold you down while some cop with a few hours of training sticks a needle in you. And you can bet one of the officers will be "injured" during the procedure and you'll then be arrested for touching a peace officer. And I'm told they're no lawyers in town who will go up against the cops, so, we're basically screwed for now.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about  DL# by itself but Name, DOB and DL# would raise suspicions.

I have to submit to a criminal background check every 3 yrs to maintain my professional license. The credit check is the one that gets me. WTH does bad credit have to do with doing a job.  ::)

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 05:17:25 PM »
In theory, the credit check is to see if you are a candidate for blackmail; ie outstanding debts, gambling, that sort of thing. I personally think it is complete BS and not something that anyone but me, my wife and my bank need to know. But I think that about most things.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about  DL# by itself but Name, DOB and DL# would raise suspicions.

I have to submit to a criminal background check every 3 yrs to maintain my professional license. The credit check is the one that gets me. WTH does bad credit have to do with doing a job.  ::)

And all the while illegals get into the country by the thousands without any of these checks.   >:(

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 05:28:37 AM »

And all the while illegals get into the country by the thousands without any of these checks.   >:(

They have to get their fake DL info from some where.   :))
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.