Author Topic: have you been part of the tough choices?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
have you been part of the tough choices?
« on: March 20, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
through no choice of ours we seem to be stuck in the middle of these things. my wife is the admin secretary for  the principal of our local middle school. she has been in the middle of all of our school closures. and has been part of the limited staff at school all week. her part of the school is locked off and the students will be coming in to retrieve all personal things and school items. she will be more than likely working only part time from here on out.

i am on the board at our local telephone and internet provider, we met yesterday (10 of us to meet guidelines) to finalise how we are proceeeding forward and locking things down. i am also on the coc board at the local fsa (farm service agency) office.  we met via phone conference yesterday .we are also locking the doors and only one staff member at a time will be in office to answer the phone and do emergency work. normally there is 5.

we also met to earlier this week go over new procedure for the ems on our rural fire dept.

we didn't sign up for this shit but here we are.

from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

Re: have you been part of the tough choices?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:22:23 PM »
Theres a lot of good people getting the call to step up. Sounds like y'all are getting it figured out.

I had to explain to some of the new guys what being essential staff entailed. This is the downside to being part of an essential service to the community. we don't close and go home. They weren't too happy.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:51:12 PM »
I am not a part of essential services unless the wife needs me at work as they are a critical power infrastructure. Those power plant turbines won't be turning unless the plant keeps doing the bearings and they have a floor full right now.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 05:32:59 PM »
It's tough! .. especially for medical personnel. Many are working incredibly long hours right now, and it won't be long before the system starts to crack. A lot of retired medical people are volunteering and/or are being recruited for temporary work to take the strain off.

Probably the same situation in a lot of fields -- transportation, public safety, sanitation services, etc.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 08:31:01 PM »
Plenty of people off work around here. Luckily my boss is keeping open.

My sister is in the medical field and is screening people for the virus

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
The daughters husbands dad (parent in law?), has cancer, recently was upped in its level of severity was let go this week. 40 years in the industry, and lead an international team (virtually). Reduction in force. Ouch.

I have started family discussions today (our grown kids) and siblings in other states about what we should plan to do (or not to do), should someone contract this virus. Mom is in a care home, and the other parents are high risk. Tough choices, but we have to work it out now, and not once we get news of an illness and panic decisions are made.

Just like a fire drill, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.