Author Topic: Cadillac will introduce a new DOHC 4.2L V8 Twin Turbo engine for 2019 -- WOW!!  (Read 22751 times)

Offline Cruiser808

Man, I'm glad I don't have to work on one. look at all the crap on top of the motor.

+1 on what Slip Knot said. That’s why I drive a Land Cruiser FJ40. It’s as simple to work on as it gets.

Offline muddy

Man, I'm glad I don't have to work on one. look at all the crap on top of the motor.

^^^^X3.
X4

The Northstar engines have the starter buried under the intake.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator

^^^^X3.
X4

True -- it's hard job, but the motor is a great design. At the time it was way ahead of anything else that US manufcaturers had to offer.

Offline muddy

^^^^X3.
X4

True -- it's hard job, but the motor is a great design. At the time it was way ahead of anything else that US manufcaturers had to offer.
Very true

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
I love a Cadillac, great cars, this year my 20th anniversary, the wife got a CTS, she earned it LMAO.

Did you know they are rear wheel drive, the auto trans has a feature that allows the driver to shift it like a manual box.

On the down side it took me over 3 hours to pair the garage door opener to the cabin button. The user manual, how about 500 + pages 250 pages for crap like cell phones and all.  :-\

And they run healthy, no side pipes, but it did get a K&N upgrade.
Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline four.cycle

re: starter under the intake manifold - same on a Lexus DOHV V8.

I am so glad I am no longer in the remanufactured engine business.

Offline bonneyman

It would be wonderful as long as you didn't have to work on it!

That kinda sounds like "I love nuclear energy so long as the power plant isn't in my neighborhood"!  ;)

I am not anxious to own a car with an engine so technologically advanced I can only open the hood and look down upon an engine I can do nothing to fix or maintain. I would prefer instead any make or model of vehicle I can relate to mechanically; if that comes at the expense of style or gas mileage I totally good with that too.

In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood, "A man has to know his limitations"  ;)

Agreed!

Mr. Callahan sure knew how to say things! ;D

Offline torqueman2002

"Mr. Callahan sure knew how to say things! ;D"

How true!

I was thinking of the guys back in my group that have to write the diagnostics for the ECM/TCM on that baby!

Glad it's not me!   ;D
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline xflffpm

With you on that I want to get my hands on it and do things for myself. But the sad reality is it's likely a preview of coming attractions. At least for the near future. Stuff in luxury cars usually filters down and with self driving and driver assist it's only going to be packing more in.

I believe all my future cars have already been built.

I love that line.

Offline RustFarmer

, but it did get a K&N upgrade.
Pep

FYI , the oil on K&N filters can gunk up the mass air flow sensor.  Great filter for a carb.  After cleaning the entire intake on a used 2003 Yukon I purchased, I would never use one on a newer vehicle.  Previous owner had too much oil on the filter, but any oil on the MAF is too much.

lostmind

I'm a retired Cadillac tech.
The NorthStar had many problems it shouldn't have had , not enough testing time?
After you work on many of them , they do get easier , but nearly impossible to beat flat rate times,
especially when you have to wait on parts orders. The starter was an exception , easy to beat FR
It was near impossible to find anyone qualified or willing to work on them.
This new engine may make that more difficult.
Imagine taking your car in for a repair , the tech tears it down , then quits and leaves the pile for someone else
and they can't hire someone else to put it together.
Happened a couple times , 2 months for head gaket repairs.

Nice piece of enginering , but totally unnecessary for a daily driver.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
The NorthStar had many problems it shouldn't have had , not enough testing time?
After you work on many of them , they do get easier , but nearly impossible to beat flat rate times,
especially when you have to wait on parts orders. The starter was an exception , easy to beat FR
Imagine taking your car in for a repair , the tech tears it down , then quits and leaves the pile for someone else

Nice piece of enginering , but totally unnecessary for a daily driver.

Thanks for your input lostmind -- it helps a great deal to get info from the source. I also think the Northstar engine was retired way too soon. I love that engine -- All aluminum DOHC using timing chain technology it was meant to give the luxury Euro and Japanese cars a run for their money -- and it did. Aside from the known issues such as the head bolts, the oil sealing problem, and the later water pump design; .. what other major flaws were there from your perspective?

I'm of the impression that by the time GM retired the engine in 2011, all the big issues had mostly been addressed. Given another year or two and that engine would have been bullet proof.

lostmind

Biggest other problem was carbon deposits on pistons , caused by bad rings. They came out with chemicals to dissolve the carbon.
Removal of plugs was needed , add measured amounts to cylinders and soak. reinstall plugs and run engine feeding more chemicals through intake. GM supplied the tools needed, mostly just a small tank with controlled flow..
They then came out with bulletin recommending new rings. I did several engines needing rings.
Hard to beat the 22 hours they gave and do it right. This was on the earlier engines.
Most of the head gasket problems ended up with new engines. They had thread inserts for stripped threads
that occurred from tightening to new specs. If more then two were close to each other, they gave short block.
I think by 2011 all these problems were eliminated. But it was a costly engine to make.
The smaller CTS was outselling the bigger cars , I think that's why they stopped building it.
I was gone from the dealer by then.
Water pumps were the only other failures I recall .
We sold Buicks also , 3.8 V6 was by far the most trouble free engine. Plastic intakes were the headache , but good money makers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:24:16 PM by lostmind »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Thank you lostmind -- I never did understand the water pump issues. Originally they were relatively easy to service in place using the special tool to remove it from the water pump manifold housing. Later engines on 2006 and up vehicles did away with that design and required the entire water pump manifold to be removed to change the pump. I never understood why the they went from a workable early design to a nightmare scenario on later engines. I'm sure not even the technicians appreciated that change -- even if it did offer more book time.

Offline Matt_T

A couple friends of mine were GM mechanics. Both refused to touch Cadillacs after loosing money on jobs. No surprise the dealerships can't get anyone to work on them if even the full time Cadillac techs can't beat book. I hope your hourly rate was high enough to make up for the unrealistic repair times.