Author Topic: Remember the 1970's Sears brand Japanese wrench sets?  (Read 10876 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Remember the 1970's Sears brand Japanese wrench sets?
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »
I thought I'd show a few of these older wrenches from the 1970's. They are "SEARS" brand (not craftsman) wrenches that were sourced in Japan. I bought them new in 1976 for my road box. They still reside in that box. Great wrenches and they were less than $10 for each complete set.

As I recall I bought the complete set (open-end metric and SAE sets and box-end metric and SAE) on sale for under $25.

Nice tools and they show up on e-bay regularly for just a few bucks. I usually buy them and use them in my emergency car toolkits. Way better than HF offerings.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Remember the 1970's Sears brand Japanese wrench sets?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
I had a small set of combos like that. BF Japan. Decent tools.
Lost one at work. Darn did that empty spot bug me for the longest time.

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:54:51 PM »
I bought a couple of big adjustables, back when I couldn't afford sets of large wrenches.  I remember getting them home and being disappointed they weren't Craftsman.  But after I used them a few times, I grew to like them.  I still have them 25ish years later.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
I wasn't aware they made other tools like adjustable's. Guess I should keep an eye out for them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:55:29 AM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »
The BF japan mark was also on the craftsman tools along with some others. IIRC I have a fuller pipe wrench with the BF mark as well. All are top notch tools.

I bought one of the medium sized tool sets back in HS and was a bit disappointed when the wrenches were BF craftys and not USA ones. But I figured when they broke I would return them for USA made wrenchs. I still have the complete set.