Author Topic: Evaluating my main 1/4 set  (Read 10316 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Evaluating my main 1/4 set
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 04:55:49 PM »
My prediction is this - next year you'll need a bigger box as you will be buying more stuff you think you need. Been there , done that.  And your on a tool collector site. It's like AA here. More like TA. Someone needs to make up a 12 step book to help us out.   :))
I like small stuff, so unless I can find a kra65 at a price I can afford then I don't imagine myself needing anything else for a stand-alone 1/4 set like this.

It is definitely a slippery slope between this box for my main set to upgrading to a kra65 and using this box for a secondary 1/4 set.
Just thinking about what my main 1/4 set was before getting the Mac mc1 and this current set is a big step up, so you're not exactly crazy.
I've got this thing pretty packed, but I know if I get something else just to give the tools a little more " elbow room " I'd just pack that set.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 06:07:37 PM »
Well I got a couple packages in the mail today.
One being the little Proto 4" adjustable from Ken, the other being my 9/16 socket.

It turns out the seller accidentally sent me a 3/8"drive socket so I messaged them and they're going to send me the right one.
I was worried i would have to deal with the hassle of returning a $6 item, they're a highly rated seller who's been with eBay since 2002 so I decided to give them the botd instead of going straight to a negative review and I'm glad I did.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »
My set now includes 14-6mm, and 9/16-1/4, I don't actually remember ever using the 5.5 , 5, and 4 so the swap for the 9/16 was probably a good choice.

And that 4" adjustable has already come in handy once since adding it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 02:25:29 PM »
That's a nice set up.  Easy to grab and go to whatever needs fixes

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »
That's a nice set up.  Easy to grab and go to whatever needs fixes
For many small things It has proven to be, and I'm white proud of it.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 06:32:46 PM »
It's been posted here before, but this is my go to 1/4 or just general small repair set.
Based around a Mac mc1 box it contains a 34pc 1/4 set plus a number of other small tools you might expect to use when working with small fasteners.
Sometimes there are other things I may need besides just a ratchet and socket and this set has it.

This set was originally put together back in early March and I've gradually been adding and removing things as my experience with it has grown.

Here's the set as it started.

And here it is today

The small set of slipjoints seemed like a great idea but I found I have yet to use them so I replaced them with a 7pc set of Eklind metric L keys which have actually come in handy.
The ratchet I retired in place of a Wright 2426 and I must say I really love this little ratchet a lot.

These two additions have proven quite useful.
The screw starter I mostly use for the magnet on the back, and the screw apart pick i use to clean gunk and grease from fasteners to get good purchase and avoid stripping.
With this set my sockets range from standard well 4-14mm and SAE 1/2-1/4" , I chose to rely on equivelants for the lesser needed SAE because that's what I could fit in the socket slot.
I also included a mix of 9 metric and SAE deep Wells, all sockets are US Craftsman because they were affordable.
The metric Doe wrenches are 5-11mm, and the SAE Combos are 5/32-3/8.
This doesn't cover everything, but I've got a wrench to go with most of my socket sizes.
This set has come in quite handy and really proven to be pretty versatile.
Of I was putting this together as just a socket set I'd like to have a full range of standard and deep well sockets I both SAE and Metric, but I chose to sacrifice completion of sockets for versatility across the board and it has yet to really be a hindrance.
I'm sure I'll continue to make changes to this set as I see fit, but at the moment I'm very pleased with just how useful it has been.
And I want to thank the forum members who have sent me things which I have in this set , J.A.F.E for the little breaker bar and DeadNutz for the 6" extension and universal.
They've all come in handy and this set would not be as useful without them.

Dude thats a badass tool set. I want one!

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »
Where can i get that box? I googled mac mc1 and came up with nothing

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »
Where can i get that box? I googled mac mc1 and came up with nothing

Yup, nice set and I would love to have one of those boxes.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!