Author Topic: When 6 inches of Mac Tool warranty is too short  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Tool Pants

When 6 inches of Mac Tool warranty is too short
« on: January 10, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
I have what I call spinners but which Mac calls hand drive extensions, both 10 inches.  The hard plastic handle on the 1/4 inch would spin when twisted.  I have not seen a Mac truck in years.  I went to my mechanic in an automotive repair complex to see if he could exchange it for me next time a Mac truck showed up.  He hasn't seen a Mac truck in years either.

I did not want to pay the shipping, but Mac said to mail it to them.  On the internet I found 1, exactly 1, Mac distributor in my city with a population of 1 million.  But his route is not close to me.  So on December 27th I went to the post office and mailed the spinner.

Yesterday I received a 6 inch spinner.  Like the old school style I mailed, with the hard plastic handle, that I thought was discontinued.  Expected to receive the new comfort grip locking 10 inch, not the old style 6 inch.

I then emailed Stanley - I mean Mac.  Going to send me something else. 

Offline bonneyman

Re: When 6 inches of Mac Tool warranty is too short
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:34:46 PM »
I have gone to my mechanic to get some stuff off of the Snap-On truck. Everything else is mail it in.
Can't say if the old Proto dealer is still alive in town.

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »
When an exact replacement is no longer available,  the nearest thing is substituted.   Lucky there was something close.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 01:37:59 AM »
If it was me I'd keep the old one, I like the classic style and tools are just getting uglier and uglier each year as they're deciding tools also have to " look cool " .
Why can't a tool just be a tool and simply happen to not look particularly ugly one way or the other ?

I know aesthetics played a role in tool design I the art deco era...ect, but it was done tastefully and the stuff looked good.
Now they're making everything look ugly as hell because they don't think people my age will want a regular traditional adjustable wrench or ratchet.
Most don't know or care enough about tools to want then to look a particularly modern or " cool "

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Tool Pants

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 06:14:45 PM »
I sent in 1 dollar - got 60 cents back.  10 inch spinner sent - 6 inch received.  Have zero need for yet another 6 inch spinner - already have a bunch of them.  But I only had one 10 inch and I used it because of the extra length.

In my opinion the warranty replacement for the old model 10 inch should be the current model 10 inch.  Which is what I expected to receive.  Not an old or new model 6 inch that I have zero use for, as I already have them.  I would have been happy with being sent a new old stock model 10 inch as a warranty replacement.  Guess Mac didn't have one, so I was sent a 6 inch.

I guess Mac agrees with me, because after an email exchange they are going to send a 10 inch version which happens to be the current model.  After I sent them a picture of what I sent and what I received.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 07:25:08 PM by Tool Pants »

Offline Tool Pants

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »
Lola has been busy.  Didn't know she worked in Taiwan.

Offline walrus

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 04:01:32 PM »
I have a snap on hand spinner, 6 inch, one of my most used tools in my service truck. I'd like a 10 inch one if I found one.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 03:01:08 AM »
Funny how different trades favor certain tools.  I rarely use a spinner but 5/16 nut driver gets used most everyday

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 08:14:08 AM »
Glad it was made right for you. Some people may want nothing but a USA made hard handle and the 6 inch would be the correct replacement. You wanted a 10 inch and got one.  Either way mac made it right. Good on them.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!