Author Topic: Vintage Lincoln "Lubrigun" info needed on plunger  (Read 8893 times)

Offline oldnslo

Vintage Lincoln "Lubrigun" info needed on plunger
« on: September 02, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
Just picked this up this morning. Seems to be missing the plunger, and from the shape of the "keyhole" opening, it seems I could fab one up.

Anyone own one of these? I cant find a web picture of the plunger that's missing.  I'll pull mine apart later and find out whats behind the grease that's inside.

Offline slip knot

Re: Vintage Lincoln "Lubrigun" info needed on plunger
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »
I may have one. let me do some digging.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:10:49 PM »
Well mine seems to have a bit of coastal rash on it but maybe you can see what you need.

The rod is captive. its held in by the piston on one end and a knurled ring on the other.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
The piston end is held in by a rolled ring on the end of the grease tube.

Basically the end of the tube looks like it has to unscrew to get the piston and rod out. With all the rust I was leery of yanking on it to find out. If you need I can soak it for a day or so and pull it further apart.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
Thanks! After closer inspection with the grease out, it seems to works in this manner:

1. It appears to work off a suction process to advance the piston.
2. The end of the piston is smooth, and there is no threading.
3. The double winged "keyhole" opening is probably meant to initially advance the piston after refilling. This double wing is to allow for a twisting action of the rode to keep the plunger from cocking to one side. When you use a straight rod to push the plunger, it tends to cock to one side and bind.

This little grease gun is a nice addition to my lube tools.