Author Topic: Price of ammunition - a barometer for the coming election year?  (Read 9381 times)

Offline john k

Re: Price of ammunition - a barometer for the coming election year?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
Nothing  noticeable here, plenty on the shelves,  Nebraska, farming country, or the city. 

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »
There are three Walmart stores in my immediate area, and for the past 15-20 years they have made the "politically correct" decision to minimize the sale of ammo and firearms. In fact they were pressured by the local anti-gun lobby many years ago to not stock firearms at all. Ammo supply was always sporadic and minimalist at best.

Now comes the surprise, or better said, "the irony"! Ever since Walmart decided to pull out of the military caliber ammo business, the shelves have been overflowing with stocked ammo -- in any caliber. Except for one small strip mall Walmart location (which never had much supply anyway), the larger stores and super centers are literally stocked to the rafters with ammo; ... and it's cheap!

Consensus is that they are draining their warehouses and regional distribution centers to comply with the new corporate mandate. Hence they plan to get rid of the stocks as quickly as possible and are holding prices very low. My question to you rural and mid-western members is -- are you seeing the same thing in your areas? i was up in West Virginia last week, and the local Walmart was stocked with everything -- including a great selection of long guns. 

November is hunting season and I expected full shelves, but they were literally stocking inventory in the aisles.

Here in my Nor Cal area, hunting is a big thing. Upland game, waterfowl, etc. Walmart was always the go-to for ammo. They used to have shotgun ammo stacked in the aisles this time of year. Those 100-round value packs were a good deal.

Due to recent laws enacted in this state, all ammo has to be locked up, among other ridiculous state requirements for both sellers and purchasers.

The only thing I buy there anymore is motor oil and fertilizer.

Offline eborcim

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
Walmarts around here closing out ammunition sales.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »
Haven't set foot in a Walmart in years. One of my buds was in and he texted me that they had 223 for $25/100 or $.25/round.

Last week I went to New Orleans for a few days and decided I was gonna need some extra ammo... just in case. I picked up 4 boxes of .357 Hornady for $100 or $1/round. I seem to recall these being $20 a box last time I bought so they may have gone up in the past 6 months.

Offline highland512

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »
Haven't set foot in a Walmart in years. One of my buds was in and he texted me that they had 223 for $25/100 or $.25/round.

Last week I went to New Orleans for a few days and decided I was gonna need some extra ammo... just in case. I picked up 4 boxes of .357 Hornady for $100 or $1/round. I seem to recall these being $20 a box last time I bought so they may have gone up in the past 6 months.

You always need extra ammo in NOLA, when I was working nights in NO East I carried 2 extra mags. Its a neat place to visit but a horrible place to live and work.   

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
I am very glad that i am a dealer and do not have this problem

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Elroy

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Elroy has observed that ammunition prices have moderated to more reasonable level. Locally Elroy has found .22LR availability plentiful but cost remains "slightly" elevated. If one shops around, it's possible to remain stocked up with out going broke. As an example, last week Elroy picked up several boxes of .223 brass cased 55 grain Federal at $.30 a round.  Elroy considers that reasonable.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:45:33 PM by Elroy »

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »
Indiana

Current ad 12/26 - 01/08 for Bass Pro Shops has Federal Black Pack 22LR.  1100 rounds for $44.97 or 4 cents per round.