VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

So Refined,, You'll be tempted to call it James... 1998 GMC Jimmy

<< < (2/4) > >>

fatfillup:
Always liked that body style.

Had a 98 (I think) S10 that all three of my sons drove as there first car and it survived with few issues.  Neighbor still drives it a little as a dump run vehicle.

You did well on that purchase and repair and especially teaching the grandkids!!!

bonneyman:

--- Quote from: oldcarguy on December 08, 2023, 07:21:34 PM ---Well said! The market is hot for a good used car. Even if it's 25 years old. Plus timing is everything. We just had a snow storm, and premiums are paid for four-wheel-drives.

--- End quote ---

Well, the Mrs car is an 2002 Buick Century. 22 years old and still works, though there's issues with the tranny, real end, and dash electronics. Yet the motor still gives her 26 MPG in town. We'd keep it but she needs something more reliable for commuting.
And the used car guy said he'd take it in trade - saying "there's a butt for every seat!" !!!

Uncle Buck:

--- Quote from: bonneyman on December 12, 2023, 04:08:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: oldcarguy on December 08, 2023, 07:21:34 PM ---Well said! The market is hot for a good used car. Even if it's 25 years old. Plus timing is everything. We just had a snow storm, and premiums are paid for four-wheel-drives.

--- End quote ---

Well, the Mrs car is an 2002 Buick Century. 22 years old and still works, though there's issues with the tranny, real end, and dash electronics. Yet the motor still gives her 26 MPG in town. We'd keep it but she needs something more reliable for commuting.
And the used car guy said he'd take it in trade - saying "there's a butt for every seat!" !!!

--- End quote ---

You are getting warm,  but you are not there yet!  Of The six cars I own and insure, the oldest is a 1968, the newest is a 1998 Buick Lesabre with 150K on the clock and still going strong. The HVAC controls are a bit funky at times, and the horn needs fixed. Aside from that, the rest works as new. Every other vehicle in my worn out fleet is well over 100K miles. I have been driving old used cars my whole life. I have never owned a new car and certainly at this point know I will never be able to afford to. On the plus side, I have also never made a car payment or been upside down cost wise in a vehicle.  I have also never owned a car for just a short period of time. Outside of one or two insurance companies bought back after accidents every car I ever owned has been with me 10-20 years minimum, and a few for three decades or more! The way I put it now is, cars come to me to die! LOL Like they say about pets, cars find their forever home once they meet me. By the time I sell them, there is not much left. Rarely is a car I am done with worth even $1,000 dollars!

oldcarguy:
Though I have purchased numerous new cars,, I am no stranger driving a car for decades..

Uncle Buck:
I figure most here are like that OCG.

That said, I will admit, at least once I would have liked having one with that new car smell, ya know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version