Author Topic: Elroy took a drink of Kool Aid  (Read 10300 times)

Offline Elroy

Re: Elroy took a drink of Kool Aid
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »
I think GW was one of the earliest brands to go totally in on Chinese production.

Elroy is simply not a Chinese fan. It was Elroy's anticipation these were going to be of Taiwan manufacture.
Any who, Elroy offers these observations in no particular order.

The ratchet shifting is a little "chunky" side. The levers are rather small which makes them a little difficult to move.

The ratchet drag is high on the return pull which require "finger assistance"

The jaws on the open end are nicely finished...........no broach marks, nice and flat.

The open end jaws are also fairly wide. Call Elroy old school...........not a fan of the off corner "notch"

There was one wrench in the set that had a burn mark from the chrome bath ( You knew Elroy as nit picker )

The size and logo stamping on the beam was very shallow and not consistent between members

The plastic storage rack on the 12 piece parent set was superior to large supplemental set. Totally different designs

Box ends were substantially larger in diameter that a conventional box end which obvious should be expected. Box end thickness was comparable to conventional wrenches.

Elroy noted that some of the quoted retail costs were excessive. Total cost on this combined set was reasonable in Elroy's eye.

Elroy paid off Karl Malden so it looks like they're keepers.  :-\

Offline Elroy

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 07:03:24 PM »
Elroy wishes to solicit opinions on high use metrics tools as additional procurement are on deck.

Hint: Metric line wrenches ( flair nut ) ???

Maybe some metric screw drivers would be in order  :D

Offline ken w.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »
For flare wrenches I would go with Snap On or SK. They are the best made and fitting. They don't slip.

Offline highland512

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 02:18:52 PM »

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 01:00:53 AM »
For flare wrenches I would go with Snap On or SK. They are the best made and fitting. They don't slip.
I have a set of MAC for metric and Wright for standard. I like the weights because they are flair on one end and regular open end on the other. Only downfall is the heads are thick on the Wrights

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 11:01:25 AM »
I have a set of MAC for metric and Wright for standard. I like the weights because they are flair on one end and regular open end on the other. Only downfall is the heads are thick on the Wrights

i think that is a common and useful feature. the thicker head  isn't for making  a stronger wrench but allows more surface area to contact a fitting that is often much softer. if the open end was thinner it would offer no advantage over a normal open end.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »

i think that is a common and useful feature. the thicker head  isn't for making  a stronger wrench but allows more surface area to contact a fitting that is often much softer. if the open end was thinner it would offer no advantage over a normal open end.

Me thinks yer right!  ;)

Offline Snaparxon!

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »
I have PROTO for my flair nut wrenches, I find the 12 point much more usable in tight spots where many hose fittings live.

http://www.protoindustrial.com/en/industrial-tools/Proto/Wrenches/Flare-Nut-Wrenches/ad614b7f-b511-439e-b32a-c2ec607134e6_Proto%c2%ae-Satin-Metric-Double-End-Flare-Nut-Wrenches---12-Point/

+1 on the 12 point Proto's. They also have a nice satin finish.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
I’ve been using the same set of 1970s era Craftsman flare nut wrenches for almost 50 yrs, with no issues, somewhere in the 1980s, I bought the metric set.......
jack

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 02:29:31 PM »
I’ve been using the same set of 1970s era Craftsman flare nut wrenches for almost 50 yrs, with no issues, somewhere in the 1980s, I bought the metric set.......

Is it the traditional raised-panel or the full polished set Jack? .. being 1970s it's probably the raised panel version.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
Raised panel
jack

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
Raised panel

My first line wrenches were raised panel Cman. I never had any issues with them, though I have picked up other line wrenches through the years that I might have liked a little more.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
I wish I had snagged a metric set of the Cman raised panels. I like the Cman raised panels and used them for years but once I got into tractor hydraulics I found them to be too bulky.