Author Topic: Idle Musings  (Read 6422 times)

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Idle Musings
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »
I was told that as well but on thinking about it something is missing. Granted concrete is conductive as is earth - pretty much all minerals are to some extent. But the battery when installed sits in a metal tray that is part of the body/chassis and is grounded so there is a theoretical circuit going back to the battery. The earth/concrete has no path back.

Easy guess, the case itself is the path of loss. Placing it on a conductive surface sped up the decay.  Many early cars were positive ground and others had wood lined battery boxes.  My dad, the genuine 1950's hotrodder, always lined the tray with bits of old floor mats.  Back in the days of constant loss oil seals a battery of similar properties wasn't out of place.  It was accepted as normal.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
Batteries used to be stored on wood shelves. Now they are kept in stores on metal racks/shelving that is usually bolted to the floor.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »
I am big on LED bulbs and have a few 3 way bulbs (OK more than a few) (although lately I've taken a liking to Phillips Hue remote control dimmables). Anyway the 3 way LED bulbs seem to light med-high-low as you switch through. Traditional incandescent are low-med-high. Why the change?

It may be just how they're wired, but it could be due to the electrical properties of the LED chips themselves.

I prefer incandescents for the most part. The yellowish light they give is more "natural" to the human eye. They were designed this way originally as the color light the early incans put out was very similar to candlelight (which was the standard for centuries).
Flourescents tended to be more bluish, and - although more energy efficient - that off natural light kinda put people off at first. Now with better internal coatings they can make the like more "natural". But the use of mercury vapor kinda negates the more enviornmentally friendly image they've pushed.
LEDs are nice for portable devices as their current draw is so low but most don't put out nearly as much light as the other two. Judicious design and precise manufacturing allow alot of chips to be crammed into the available space and now the light yields are high enough to compete in the residential markets.

I like incans around the house, flourescents for outside lighting (the lower heat output makes the fixtures last alot longer), and LED's for flashlights.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 03:04:33 PM »
LED's for those locations you don't ever want to climb up to again.  They will probably last longer than all the old guys on this site. :))

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
One of the things I like about LEDs is the choice color temperature available now. Some are sold by color temp and some are adjustable (like the Phillips Hue). In places like the bathrooms and kitchen I like to keep bright light around 5400K which is about noon on a clear day. That would be close to fluorescent light but unlike fluorescent does not have a UV component. The living room and bedrooms I like warmer more yellow light which is closer to the traditional incandescent light. The room I'm in now is lit with a fairly warm 40W bulb which gives enough light to see but adds some character to the room - especially in the context of the fixture it's in. The shop/garage I want the brightest light I can get.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2020, 08:45:03 AM »
LED's for those locations you don't ever want to climb up to again.  They will probably last longer than all the old guys on this site. :))

Heck the Ace I used to work at changed the existing flourescents to LED tubes while I was there. Was told the electric bill dropped by about a third. After 5 months 2 or 3 banks had gone dark. I was told that aligned with the estimates the manufacturer of the bulbs gave of about a 1-2% failure rate.
But this old guy did NOT climb a 20 foot extention ladder to replace them bulbs!

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »
Are vegatiarians allowed to eat animal crackers?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:34:27 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 06:08:25 AM »
  True ......... the old battery and concrete problem has been resolved....

The battery thing was because car batteries used to have a hard rubber case and not plastic like now.  It was slightly conductive and if grounded would discharge.

All those batteries are decades out of use by now.  You might find the remains of one in a barn find.

Chemical stuff with solvents remain usable for decades if not allowed to gas off.  Glues and caulk alike.  Squeeze the air out of tunes and cap containers to seal.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 06:47:16 AM »
So musing, try this Daytona. Modern race cars, aero shape most surfaces rounded. Operate at the edge of out of control, and  200mph.

What kind of moron, going back a few years when the speeds were a mere 150-175.  Thinks it's a good idea to  have race cars push one another?

Gee what a concept, me lost most interest @ the invent of the practice. The whole idea flys in the face of auto racing, and this week we see it almost killed one of its own.

Pardon me but two semi round surfaces pushing against one another even in a straight line is not......... what I call smart.

Damn there are some dumb people making decisions, part 1 and the others going along with them.

pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy