Author Topic: 9/11 don`t forget  (Read 2418 times)

Offline jabberwoki

9/11 don`t forget
« on: September 11, 2019, 08:09:11 PM »
Just a reminder
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

Re: 9/11 don`t forget
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »
You don't have to worry about us forgetting that day. I woke up made coffee and turned on the news to see the smoke from the first tower and them talking about a commuter plane or some such hitting the tower. As I watched I saw the second airliner hit the other tower and knew it was a terrorist attack. We didn't go to the shop and I called there after the employees got there and told them to go home. I didn't want them running the presses or machinery being distracted plus they were worried about their families with all the wild rumors being thrown around.

We will never forget!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:04:32 PM »
I tried to forgot what I saw on TV , there's just some things a 6 year old should never see.
I've forgotten some things, but watching people leap from a skyscraper is something you can never forget.

I hope nobody here had family involved in this Earth shattering tragedy.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 09:08:43 PM »
I was still active duty AF at the time, listening and then watching the news as I was preparing for a trip.

Needless to say the trip was cancelled and I went to work that night in the command post which continued for some time.

I'll never forget.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »
I will never, ever, forget that day.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:01:58 PM »
Visited the WTC 11 months before the attack. I can close my eyes and still visualize the twin towers rising straight up above me.
Watched the disaster on TV, then returned in 2006 and saw Ground Zero.  :'(

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »
September 11, 1948. My birthday.

I had that day off in 2001, and watched it unfold on TV.

When it was time to pick the kids up from middle and high school, I didn't know what to tell them.

For a couple of years, I couldn't bring myself to celebrate my birthday, but I eventually started again.

The attacks and the victims are never far from my thoughts on that date.

May God grant them peace.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »
I was overseas and watched the tragedy unfold on TV. Colleagues in Crystal City VA (right down the street from the Pentagon), were feeding me live snippets of video from the rescue efforts. Amazing to watch the melee in NYC on TV while getting a live birds eye view of the Pentagon at the same time.

I was supposed to be back in DC on the 13th, but because of flight restrictions, it took three more days just to get home. I pray for those lost souls daily!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
Just a total shock for me. I was stunned as I watched it unfold on TV. I borrowed a TV and brought it to the shop which I closed for three days and just watched events transpire feeling rage and helpless at the same time. I had two helpers (one of which was P.L.D.G.) and I paid them both to sit and watch the events. I felt we all needed to see that more than work that would be forgotten by now anyway.

This is the last anniversary where every adult around was alive when it happened. Next anniversary will be the first to see voting age people who were born after the outrage.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
I had just got into my truck at the start of my hour long commute to the base (Navy) on the West Coast when the report of the first plane was made on the radio.  Then the second plane that wasn't responding and was off it's flight path...I knew before it hit where it was going and what was happening.  It was a long drive listening to that unfold.

I was a Leadership instructor at the time, and the course had to go on but we spent a lot of time at the barracks watching the TV.  I was up the Trade Center in '83 during a port visit.

Since then I've done two deployments to the Gulf.  I was at sea off Dubai with our boarding party inspecting Iraqi flagged ships when the US went into Iraq.  Like many of us here, I have friends who either didn't come back (Afghanistan), or didn't come back the same person that left.

I'm still serving.  39 years complete but I won't finish the 40th I don't think.

No worries.  I won't forget.