Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 683894 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1110 on: January 17, 2020, 08:27:52 PM »
started cleaning up the work table, getting ready for the trans rebuild. Where did all this junk come from? Filled up a big trash can with crap and a 5gallon bucket with nuts, bolts and metal scrap. Gotta dig the trans jack out next.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1111 on: January 19, 2020, 08:35:26 PM »
The easy parts done. ;D

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #1112 on: January 20, 2020, 12:18:09 AM »
Can you do a build thread on the tranny rebuild?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1113 on: January 20, 2020, 02:22:17 AM »
More a 'What did you do over the Weekend'.

Friday night a club member turned up at home with the Nissan Navara he had just finished for his father for me to do the tech inspection on. They had just picked it up from the engine tuner. This is a Class 2 truck that has been around in our club for a number of years. They had put a new Nissan 3.3L V6 engine and after market ECU in it as well as giving it a good tidy up.

Saturday I went to Auckland for the ORANZ (Off-road racing national body) Executive meeting as I'm co-opted onto it as the National Points Coordinator. Afterwards I stopped in to watch the second round of the Counties Classic, just a couple of km down the road.

As usual there were plenty of entries in the kids class.

Sunday I opened our track to allow another club member to test some rebuilt suspension.

Then back to the workshop to finish the last bits on my RZR. (Modify side bars, make driver's side  intrusion bar removable, new blue rear lights, replace defective kill switch, shift number boards and put stiffeners under plastic work that was broken that was when I rolled it last year).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:24:05 AM by Rural53 »

Offline john k

« Reply #1114 on: January 20, 2020, 09:18:17 AM »
Cold here lately, below zero several nights.  Down to one vehicle that would start.  After getting home, stretching out the extension cords, got the battery chargers going.  Set real low to warm the battery.  By dark one pickup started,  left the  charger on the Jeep overnight, going out to try it soon.  Then will shift it to the other pickup,  then the tractors,  because  more snow is coming.  BTW wind chill this morning is minus 18.  On my enclosed front porch  the temp was minus 3 last night.   Got to love it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1115 on: January 22, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »
Reminded myself how important it is to clean out the king trap beyond just the screen, and practically filled my shop vac with lint in the process.

Anyone need some tinder to start their fireplace  :))

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1116 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »
Got a leak on the Astro van. been leaking drops for a couple of years - mechanic's couldn't find it. The last month or two the drops/puddles have increased, and my tri-weekly oil checks have needed me to add some. Took it to the mechanic, said we have to find it. "Oh, your engine is like the Exxon Valdez! You have to go get it steam cleaned so we can add dye and then find the leak(s). Lots of build-up down there!" Well, if you'd checked more thoroughly 2 years ago there would have been less build up!
Off to the detail shop today to get i cleaned. 2 hours, $140. Guys did a bang-up job. Now I get the dye put in Friday and drive it a bit. Then we'll see.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1117 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:45 PM »
Went out to my sister's ranch to help clean out the barn/shop as the place is in escrow. It is just like a trip to the HF store. My sister gave me a brand new HF 14" chop saw, MIG welder on a cart w/argon bottle, 3 portable vise work benches which are new and a new hydraulic tube bender. A 4th vise work bench is a Craftsman. Also grabbed a Lincoln 225 AC tombstone welder plus a ton of misc hardware and stuff. Going back out Friday to move more stuff and who knows what will end up on the trailer and truck and follow me home.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1118 on: January 23, 2020, 07:51:18 AM »
Went out to my sister's ranch to help clean out the barn/shop as the place is in escrow. It is just like a trip to the HF store. My sister gave me a brand new HF 14" chop saw, MIG welder on a cart w/argon bottle, 3 portable vise work benches which are new and a new hydraulic tube bender. A 4th vise work bench is a Craftsman. Also grabbed a Lincoln 225 AC tombstone welder plus a ton of misc hardware and stuff. Going back out Friday to move more stuff and who knows what will end up on the trailer and truck and follow me home.

Congrats! Heck of sister. Are those her tools, and did she use them?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1119 on: January 23, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »
My sister's husband passed away almost 4 years ago and she has no use for the stuff. He shopped HF for tools buying multiples for the different houses. He did buy mainly name brands for power tools.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1120 on: January 23, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
My sister's husband passed away almost 4 years ago and she has no use for the stuff. He shopped HF for tools buying multiples for the different houses. He did buy mainly name brands for power tools.

Sorry to hear that sad news. At least the tools stay in the family, and they will get used.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1121 on: January 23, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »
picked up a new blaster today. ;D  I had gotten some gift certs for Christmas and they were calling my name. ;D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1122 on: January 23, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »
Just got home from moving a friend's gun safe for the umpteenth time. Used the die lift to load it on a rental truck and should never have to touch it again as it will be on it's way to Ohio. I did him a favor by getting him the safe when I bought mine on a good sale. It turned out to be the favor that keeps on giving or is it taking. ::)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1123 on: January 23, 2020, 09:42:17 PM »
Just got home from moving a friend's gun safe for the umpteenth time. Used the die lift to load it on a rental truck and should never have to touch it again as it will be on it's way to Ohio. I did him a favor by getting him the safe when I bought mine on a good sale. It turned out to be the favor that keeps on giving or is it taking. ::)

Some advice I learned in the military - Don't volunteer for anything!    ;)

Offline Rural53

« Reply #1124 on: January 24, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
Went trail riding this morning in my UTV. Tracks were set up for motorcross bikes so quite narrow in places. A mixture of farm and forest terrain, loop length about 15 miles. Weatherman said it was around 86f but in the valley probably closer to 90.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk