Author Topic: Cleaning the rust out of the gas tank on my tiller.  (Read 6203 times)

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

Re: Cleaning the rust out of the gas tank on my tiller.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
RedKote works wonderfully to seal tanks after you get the majority of the rust out.   I used it on my MEP-016A generator.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 12:10:01 PM »
RedKote works wonderfully to seal tanks after you get the majority of the rust out.   I used it on my MEP-016A generator.
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nonhog

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 09:49:06 PM »
still rust? how much? wonder if vinegar will do? works great just not as fast or toxic.

So what if it's toxic......... and how ?

Fumes avoid inhaling it, he's not going to drink it.  Seems to be the logical and common sense way of avoiding the toxicity. If it were true and it very well maybe, and I say again so what ....?

The suggestion put forth, vinegar calming, insinuating is a better method. You have no clue if it even works.

Suggest you try it, and get back to us, if it fails, you have only wasted your own time.

All these nannies today are the toxic ones. Without facts or experiences,  pollute conversations.

you enjoy being a dick? i'm out

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 07:56:33 PM »
still rust? how much? wonder if vinegar will do? works great just not as fast or toxic.

Fumes avoid inhaling it, he's not going to drink it.  Seems to be the logical and common sense way of avoiding the toxicity. If it were true and it very well maybe, and I say again so what ....?

The suggestion put forth, vinegar calming, insinuating is a better method. You have no clue if it even works.

Suggest you try it, and get back to us, if it fails, you have only wasted your own time.

All these nannies today are the toxic ones. Without facts or experiences,  pollute conversations.

No he's just an ornery old Nam vet. :))

Id like to see your results with vinegar. What did you use it on? Was it straight vinegar? Surface rust? Deep rust?  It's a good cleaning agent but I don't think it'd work that well for rust.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »

Id like to see your results with vinegar. What did you use it on? Was it straight vinegar? Surface rust? Deep rust?  It's a good cleaning agent but I don't think it'd work that well for rust.

Vinegar is only good for light rust and you’d use it straight, not diluted. Watch the Project Farm video I posted the link to. He included vinegar in his test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nonhog

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 12:31:07 PM »

I used it many times with great results. It does take patience. I cleaned out my 49 GMC fuel tank after a soap and water rinse with a small chain to knock down any bigger chunks. Don't recall how long I soaked it but it was days not hours. Even being a nanny (LOL) I have used muriatic acid on other projects. I also have used the POR 15 tank renewal, just to be clear, I've tried it! Used vinegar (straight) on some engine main caps that had sat around and the machine shop refused. Soaked and no problem, again it was years ago so sorry no pics.
So will it work for every instance no, never said it would. Hence the question mark.     
Worth trying? Depends on the time available, its cheap and its weak compared to other products. It was just a thought.
OP good luck with the project!   

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 09:15:54 PM »

I used it many times with great results. It does take patience. I cleaned out my 49 GMC fuel tank after a soap and water rinse with a small chain to knock down any bigger chunks. Don't recall how long I soaked it but it was days not hours. Even being a nanny (LOL) I have used muriatic acid on other projects. I also have used the POR 15 tank renewal, just to be clear, I've tried it! Used vinegar (straight) on some engine main caps that had sat around and the machine shop refused. Soaked and no problem, again it was years ago so sorry no pics.
So will it work for every instance no, never said it would. Hence the question mark.     
Worth trying? Depends on the time available, its cheap and its weak compared to other products. It was just a thought.
OP good luck with the project!
I assumed it would take a bit longer then other harsher chemicals.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 11:01:20 PM »
Jabber swears by viniger and salt, don't know how well it works. But, to get all the loose rust out, put a cup of gas in it and a length of chain. Then shake the snot out of it. Like, paint shaker type shaking. That will get the loose flakes off, and after that evaporust!

Offline muddy

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 07:45:19 PM »
Jabber swears by viniger and salt, don't know how well it works. But, to get all the loose rust out, put a cup of gas in it and a length of chain. Then shake the snot out of it. Like, paint shaker type shaking. That will get the loose flakes off, and after that evaporust!
I live salt and vinegar too.....on my chips!

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 05:07:12 PM »
Have you considered electrolysis? That's supposed to work very well for rust. Afterwards you could coat the inside. Probably have to paint the outside anyway, after the electro bath.