Author Topic: Shipping a car  (Read 2199 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Shipping a car
« on: July 20, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with shipping/towing a vehicle or transport companies? I have two small cars I need to have moved about 280 miles. I was going to do this myself but with the virus and my need to avoid exposure it's best for me not to travel. They will need some special handling.

Any recommendations would be most welcome. Anyone in the southern California area with a trailer and the ability to move a 12' car and a 13' car would be helpful as well, thank you.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Shipping a car
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »
Ask Tony.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 07:23:42 PM »
Can you message me his number please? I can't seem to find it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 08:53:19 PM »
My brother and I rented the smallest U-Haul truck (12 ft?) we could tow a trailer with and brought a '66 Mercedes 200D from the Detroit area to Atlanta.  It worked fine, and plenty of power.  I drove most of the way because my brother's driving makes me nervous.  280 miles shouldn't take too long.  Our trip was 750 miles.

I did look into a couple transporters recommended on the H.A.M.B. and they were reasonable, but we ultimately decided to do it ourselves.
boop/bop/beep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 09:15:27 PM »
I would think one of the larger roll back wreckers may be able to haul both cars. My super duty is as long as both those cars at 25ft and its a short box.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
The U-Haul and a trailer and make two trips were Plan A. But right now I am not supposed to travel (actually not supposed to leave the house at all).

I though a larger rollback might be big enough. Just need to find someone who can and will make a trip like that.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 10:52:53 PM »
This is going to sound weird, but check on eBay. Not to bid on a service, but eBay motors has a lot of weird car hauling needs and I bet there is some quote or advertising that you can hook into.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »
Thanks! I will look at that - that may well be of help.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
Shit if I were closer this would so not be a problem.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 09:47:41 PM »
Thanks Jabaroo!

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 10:04:23 AM »
They will need some special handling.

Yep.  I have hauled Suburbans, a Grand Marquis, and a Toyota Avalon.  The Suburbans are easy to chain down.  Low cars are harder to secure.  Narrow vehicles are harder because wheel straps work best if they go straight down to the trailer deck.  A narrow car on a wide trailer with over the wheel straps going to the side of the trailer might not work.  Professional towing companies deal with this all the time.  Some of their trucks and trailers have E-Track the length of the deck.  That might be the best way to secure your little cars. 

Let them know both the model and dimensions of your cargo.  The person on the phone might not realize what a 53 MG is.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »
For the Toyota Avalon, I bought over the wheel straps from these guys.

https://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/car-and-truck-hauling-tie-down-straps/adjustable-loop-automotive-tie-downs

They have a huge selection and will make any strap you want.  Made in the USA.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »
Thanks for the tips Rust much appreciated.