Author Topic: Schick wrenches, need help  (Read 2537 times)

Offline coolmercury

Schick wrenches, need help
« on: July 27, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »
No, not the shick razor people, but Aluminum Precision products Inc. Santa Ana, CA.  Maybe someone out west knows more about these wrenches as I would like to fill out my collection.  The first picture is the aluminum pipe wrenches and one alligator wrench.  I need the 6, 8 and 14 inch if they were made. and any alligator wrench except the 14".  The second picture is the crescent-type wrenches and they appear to be complete.  The last picture is the AlBr wrenches and I need the 6 and 10".  I'm posting because last week I picked up the 24" aluminum pipe wrench at auction.  The company no longer makes wrenches and I haven't found any catalog information.  These wrenches don't appear to be rare, but they are uncommon.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Schick wrenches, need help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
Nice! I've seen aluminum pipe wrenches, and the weight reduction really makes a difference on the larger sizes.  :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
My uncle had a pile of about a couple dozen HF aluminum pipe wrenches to scrap a couple years ago.
I guess the Aluminum Rigids are more expensive than the standard ones which hold up better so he buys these from HF and when the little spring inside fails he buys a new one, he must not know about the warranty thet have or something   ???

Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:21:26 PM »
I stopped at the foundry in Santa Ana one day with the owner's son. They had just started making these aluminum pipe wrenches and he showed me how they made them. I was impressed but never bought any. It was a family run operation and quite a facility.

I was at my sister's house and the son stopped by for a few beers with my BIL and to show off his new truck. It was a Ford F-150 body on a F-250 chassis with a Ford factory camper shell. What made the truck unique was 3206 Cat (IIRC) stuffed under the hood with a 13 speed Roadranger. It had been built by a Ford engineer who had to stuff the Cat in it because he had been told it couldn't be done. He complained about all the shifting so I took him for a ride and showed him how to skip gears and that made him a happy camper. This was back in the early 80's and I haven't seen him in years.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »
I have a couple pipe wrenches, never seen any of the others

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 07:14:28 AM »
It is still a family operation, so what year did you stop by when they started to make wrenches?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:36:15 AM »
It is still a family operation, so what year did you stop by when they started to make wrenches?

It had to have been the early to mid 80's when I was there and last saw him. I remember him saying that nobody else was offering the aluminum pipe wrenches and it was his father who decided to start making them.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:10:24 AM »
Did a little googling and found this:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-286715.html

Apparently Schick Products started making the pipe wrenches back in the 1950s. I guess what DeadNutz saw at Aluminum Precision Products was them taking over production.

Also found two patents by the inventors mentioned in the gj thread. They look like a match for the Schick pipe wrenches but were both assigned to J.H.Williams.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/04/2f/f8/59ad55357843ab/US2650512.pdf

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d7/07/91/aced5ad0f40304/US2656751.pdf

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
I have a 10 and 2 14 inch alum pipe wrenches