Author Topic: "reverse gear" (HI-FIVE) Facom /Toptul /MAC...ect locking flex head bit ratchet  (Read 3390 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I've wanted one of these for a while now, but they were always overpriced or hard to get.
you had FACOM USAG and TOPTUL offering it in the same sets under their names, and Mac had their version.

Then you had WURTH who introduced theirs in black with a more bland smooth body, and from there DEAN and KS tool started to offer this version and they were finally more reasonably priced.
Still not as easy to get in the US .

I'm glad to see that VIM now offers this same exact version / 3pc set and we now have a less expensive offering being distributed here in the US.

Heres the new VIM Tools RFB400K.

Sadly they're currently out of stock on their site , but I found them from a dealer on Ebay called Beach audio.

I have the standard fixed head Power torque version that I carry in the side loop on my leatherman sheath at work, but I'll be excited to give this one a try.

I have not seen these listed anywhere but VIM otherwise,  so I'll let you guys know if this seller is legitimate or not.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 09:28:20 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

This is the one I carry now.

For some reason I just don't like the box wrench style, I much prefer these.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Well it's been 2 days already and they've just barely provided a tracking number, so it's looking like I will end up with my money refunded.

If I don't end up receiving it, I'll just sign up for an email alert from VIM and get it when they're back in stock there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 07:39:45 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Tracking shows FedEx has it, so I might get it after all.

I will keep posted on whether I receive it or not, in case anyone has been wanting one.

If I do get it, well it was a few $ cheaper and of course VIM is currently out of stock.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Still waiting on my VIM ( definitely getting it and it's at the local distribution center, supposed to arrive Wednesday)
But I just learned that the FACOM / USAG version has actually been available in the US for a while now as the Blackhawk GW-5023s set.
Same as the other two but each company includes different sockets and or bits in their offering.

I didn't buy it, but it's good to know theres an easier way to get the set here in the US, and it seems deals can be found on Ebay if you're not willing to pay so much more than a smallTaiwanese set is truly worth.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:31:59 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Received it and already put it to use, it's pretty nice and I really like it.

It's got about 12 different positions to lock into, and the bit forward 90° position is great because I can use it sort of like a regular ratcheting screwdriver.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

I've been playing with the idea of a handle attachment for it.
Just an appropriately sized hole bored into a driver handle with a piece of worn out impact driver pressed into a 1/4 hole in the bottom.

Conceptually I like it.
Having a handle is nice, but the T handle configuration that the pass through extension provides is also nice.
The detachable handle allows for both, sure it's a bit of a wobbly fit but better than just a 1/4 hex sticking out the end of a handle or bit driver.

I may explore this further and do a better job with a different handle if I can find a suitable handle, I don't want to mess another up though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

I knew it would eventually happen.
Now HF is offering a variant , under their Icon brand, and at $40 with a great warranty they're the lowest price for one of these sets and probably the best option too.

This version was previously only offered by Toptul I believe.
It's all bits and no sockets,  so that's probably one way they're able to sell it for less.
Many of the other offerings are truck brands though,  so I suspect they're charging more then necessary.

The only concern I have which is minor really is that it appears to come with the longer socket adapter like the power torque comes with instead of the shortest version that the Vim and many others include.
I like the stubby bit adapter better because it's the lowest profile.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 06:15:55 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

$40 isn't too bad for a set like that.

I picked up a REVERSE GEAR equipped Husky double ratcheting box wrench about 10 years ago at a pawn shop. Has proven handy since then. Mainly with a hex to square adaptor and small sockets. In a pinch I could use the 1/4" and 5/16" hex openings directly for really tight spots. But I didn't want to wear out those parts so almost always use socket adaptors.

Offline hickory n Steel

$40 isn't too bad for a set like that.

I picked up a REVERSE GEAR equipped Husky double ratcheting box wrench about 10 years ago at a pawn shop. Has proven handy since then. Mainly with a hex to square adaptor and small sockets. In a pinch I could use the 1/4" and 5/16" hex openings directly for really tight spots. But I didn't want to wear out those parts so almost always use socket adaptors.
Most of these sets ( they do usually have some sockets ) are in the $70 range, so I would say the price certainly is decent.

The Vim RBF400K  which just gets you the the ratchet extension and socket adapter is $40.
I only care about the ratchet really,  so the bits would be a bonus here.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Well they don't have them in my area yet.
I can always order it, and I have to because I don't go to HF very often.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
that is a dandy little set. i bet hf sells the crap out of them.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

that is a dandy little set. i bet hf sells the crap out of them.
I'm sure they will.
These flex head HI-FIVE bit ratchets are not available in any other retail locations in the US as far as I know,  and I think the only other versions even distributed in the US are the Vim, Blackhawk, and the MAC.

The Vim that's longer is $40 and you only get the extension and adapter with it.
The Mac is $60 for just the ratchet and it doesn't have the pass through feature or drive in the handle.
The Blackhawk set is $50 when you can find them, includes some sockets and less bits.

This is one instance where HF has not only the " same tool " as the truck for much less money, it's a better tool for 1/3 less and you get more than just the tool.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:05:00 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

If you do any shopping on SCAMAZON you can get this tool under the RUJOI brand.

I don't shop with SCAMAZON and I don't like case or the taller bit adapter it includes.

My local HF is still out of the ICON with no idea when they'll get more and it now has an in store only status, so I'll just have to wait.
Always lookin' to learn