Author Topic: Washing machine belt  (Read 3514 times)

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
Washing machine belt
« on: September 06, 2018, 09:40:16 PM »
Quick question.  Is any belt that's the right dimension acceptable for a washing machine, or does it need to be a specific belt?

I've got a burning smell out of a 22 year old Amana unit (LW8203W2), belt is 32.5" long, half inch width, V-belt.  Wouldn't be surprised if I can get one at an auto parts store, but I don't want to wear out the thing quickly.

Symptom, first was a squeak in agitate when it would back-spin, growing into a burning smell, a smell generated only when it's on agitate, doesn't seem to make the smell in spin.  I figure a worn belt might be the cause, or possibly a tensioner pulley.  I haven't yet disconnected the current belt to make sure there aren't other problems with the tub assembly but I figure those should manifest in spin as well as agitate.  Agitate uses the second speed from the two speed motor though, and also loads the belt differently than simple spin.  Besides, I don't wasting a few bucks on a belt for it to not be the solution and for the machine to be scrapped.

I have read that another diagnostic is to pull the motor out, hook up the harness, and engage the motor to run without a load.  If it still smells, then it's electrical, which is basically fatal as a replacement is close to $300.  If that diagnostic passes then may be worth repairing.

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Washing machine belt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
I used a generic V belt of approximated size on ours.  It worked fine until the 2nd transmission fail.

Offline TWX

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
Well, bought a belt oriented towards lawnmowers from the auto parts store, the old one was REALLY bad.  Fitted the new belt.  Started the machine with a small load of just water.  Watched it agitate without the front panel on, seemed OK, but when it to to spin after the soapy-cycle it started to smell, and then I got to watch the magic smoke come out.

Went ahead and unplugged the power, then unplugged and reseated the cable harness to the motor, just to confirm that the smoke wasn't a result of an improperly seated connection.  Plugged it back in and restarted it, smoke started coming out again.

Looks like it's time for a new machine.  We're going to see what's available of old-school designs.  This machine is 22 years old and uses relays and other solid-state stuff, I'd rather a replacement unit be similar in the sense that I don't want a whole bunch of bells and whistles that I won't use that come in exchange for being a shoddy design.

So suggestions as to a replacement toploader and corresponding dryer would be appreciated.

Offline TWX

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
Did more troubleshooting this morning, the washer had water in it from testing yesterday evening, tried running the unit to drain it, but it wouldn't work.  Had a devil of a time spinning the tub by-hand from underneath, took the belt off, tried running the motor with no load, it still tripped the overheat device.  Pulled the motor out, it's seized-up.

My folks came over to watch the baby in case my wife and I had to go buy a new one, we started discussing our options

• Cheapest, buy a new motor.  We guesstimated around $300.
    • Upside, the machine has been reliable up to this point (and for twenty-two years) and in a nutshell, Raytheon's ownership of Speed Queen and Amana in the nineties plus Amana's lack of their own washing machine meant this Amana is basically a Speed Queen with Amana badging, and the based on my research over the past several days, Speed Queens are the Volkswagen Beetle of the laundry world, they're dead-simple, durable, and easily repaired, and parts have remained fairly similar and mostly interchangeable up until the new 2018 whole-redesign.
    • Downside, It's 22 years old, and while it's been reliable, it's a gamble that it will remain so.
  • Next Cheapest, buy a low-end washing machine, around $400-$600.
    • Upside, machine would be new, wouldn't necessarily cost a whole lot more than the motor for the current Amana.  Also could have the machine today, delivered, depending on what's bought and from where.
    • Downside, warranties are pathetically short, one year.  Given the changes that have been made to major appliances, it almost certainly would not last more than two decades.
  • More expensive, track down a remaining 2017-era Speed Queen and order it, approximately $1000
    • Upside, another of basically the same as what we have now, it would very likely last well past a decade, possibly well past two.  Speed Queens are often used in commercial settings, and while the new TR-series that came out in 2018 basically aren't worth buying, there are some of the older LWN-series still in the supply chain.
    • Downside, expensive, it'll have to be shipped inter-state, long wait time.  Minor concern of being "upgraded" to a 2018 model by a warehouse that simply assumes it's an upgrade when in fact it's not.
  • Most Expensive, buy a high-end model of any other kind available locally, $1000+, probably closer to $2000.
    • Upside, might have a warranty greater than a year, and Consumer Reports has some decent info on what's currently on the market including things like cycle-time.  Also could probably have it today if bought from the right place.
    • Downside, expensive, no guarantee that it will be reliable, and with the way new appliances are designed, probably will be a technological terror to service.  Plus our laundry nook in the bathroom is tight, only 32.5" from the back wall to the trim around a door that needs to be unobstructed, and that essentially eliminates front-loaders entirely, and many high efficiency toploaders too.

In the end, before the parts stores open on Saturday all closed we decided to make a phone call.  Turns out, the motor was only $225 and the parts place was literally two miles from home.  We decided that even if it didn't pan-out we were willing to risk the $225, and we also bought a new, proper belt and a set of the brakes as well.  Out the door was $260ish.

I cleaned up the inside of the machine where the 22 year old belt had abraded and where some kind of greasy substance from the dying motor had left its mark, reassembled, and it tested on an empty cycle on small just fine.  We've done four loads of laundry since and it ran through those just fine too.  So at least for now the $225 was not a waste.  I didn't install the brakes yet, I needed to run the motor in order to drain out the water from the tub which would be necessary in order to disassemble to install the brakes, but it doesn't seem to especially need them at the moment.  For the $20 the brakes cost I'm not going to sweat it.  Maybe someday I'll dig into it again and change them if they start to squeak or something.

We're also going to keep an eye out for used Speed Queens with manufacture dates within the last few years.  I had found a CL ad claiming to have multiple plus a few other brands, but apparently the seller didn't bother to update his ad that he'd sold the Speed Queens.  Mildly annoyed at that, but I'll still look from time to time, because I frankly don't know how long until I need a more significant repair.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
Try a web search for the listed speed queen unit. I bought the wife a Miele dish washer that was a discontinued model off the web. An appliance place in New Jersey shipped it free to Texas. 1/2 price of the newer "improved" model that didn't have a track record yet.

Offline TWX

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 10:21:23 PM »
Try a web search for the listed speed queen unit. I bought the wife a Miele dish washer that was a discontinued model off the web. An appliance place in New Jersey shipped it free to Texas. 1/2 price of the newer "improved" model that didn't have a track record yet.

Will probably try again, only major downside, via Google's shopping search there were only three suppliers, and at least one was a discount place that doesn't themselves stock, so might just be pointing to another seller already on the list.

I will look again though, but if the 2018 redesigns are selling as poorly as I suspect (both the local Speed Queen dealer I called and the parts place that also sells full machines said everyone is asking for the old ones, no one wants a new one) then the old ones might not be marked down any.  We'll see though.