Author Topic: A weldin' and a grindin'...conjures up images of big projects....but...  (Read 3240 times)

Offline oldnslo

...can often be reserved for smaller projects too.

Somewhere in the past year I had dropped my Mitutoyo caliper and probably after viewing the dial indicator and seeing it still worked, finished the project without a care. It wasn't until I was trying to get a depth measurement on a recent project that something was off. Either the math they taught me in my youth, or my caliper. I compared to the cheapo digital version I have and soon found I had chipped off the tip of the depth gauge.

Arggh....or some other more colorful words were expressed upon finding this flaw.

A long story made shorter is my friend who is a "welder savant" and helps me with aluminum repair was up to the task with stainless steel. He added the material, and Mr Dremel and I made the precision adjustments to the repaired end.

Separately, what I thought was going to be a fast and quick rescue, (from my parts bin), where I had a broken caliper didnt pan out. Turned out the "groove" was on the opposite side as the Mitutoyo. Looked close, but no cigar.

I'm back and measuring with the best of them now!

;)

Offline muddy

Re: A weldin' and a grindin'...conjures up images of big projects....but...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:00:40 PM »
Nice work ONS!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: A weldin' and a grindin'...conjures up images of big projects....but...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
Good job saving a useful tool --