Author Topic: the ratchet triple play - show us you 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 matched set v. 2.0  (Read 51955 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: the ratchet triple play - show us you 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 matched set v. 2.0
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »
I managed to find some pics of Indestro pearhead's I had at one time. Somebody was asking about them. I only have the 3/8" now.
I'm really sorry I sold the 1/4"er. At the time I wanted a nice small quarter drive for tight work, and liked the look of the 6xxx Indestro rats. But the head on the 1/4" was just too big (and it wasn't fine tooth enough). If you look at the pictures the head of the 1/4" isn't really that much smaller then the 3/8". The difference between the 3/8" and 1/2" is much greater.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:22:27 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »
I managed to find some pics of Indestro pearhead's I had at one time. Somebody was asking about them. I only have the 3/8" now.
I'm really sorry I sold the 1/4"er. At the time I wanted a nice small quarter drive for tight work, and liked the look of the 6xxx Indestro rats. But the head on the 1/4" was just too big (and it wasn't fine tooth enough). If you look at the pictures the head of the 1/4" isn't really that much smaller then the 3/8". The difference between the 3/8" and 1/2" is much greater.
I like my 1/4 indestro, but you're right.
The head is large and the teeth aren't very fine, it's not been a hindrance to me yet but I've definitely noticed.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2018, 04:45:10 PM »
Wow very impressive collection. You have some great stuff.

Thanks JAFE, you've got some really great stuff too, and plenty I don't have.

That said, some more crappy cellphone pics:

Easco RHFT, QR & non
Easco plastic handled and pear head

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
Sorry Steve, but i’ve followed Powderkeg’s threads for years and I’m convinced he’s the undisputed King of ratchets. He has upgraded my stash in the past and I’m eternally grateful. Thanks Powderkeg.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
I agree completely. He has stuff I've never seen and never knew existed and absolutely deserves the title.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
Powder, I never knew RHFT were anything but QR. But I have seen an EASCO tootsie roll ratchet or two.

Made me put a rubber handle (gas hose) onto one of my Bonney's! ;D

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »
Well thanks guys, I'm humbled, but I know there are others out there with a boatload as well - Twersty for one, and he's got a fantastic history/catalog website on top of that (although it's not working at the moment?).  I've partially written some "collection" posts over the years as this obsess... er, collection has grown wildly beyond any initial expectations, as I've figured fellow tool gee... er, gurus would get a kick out it.  But unfortunately The Sequential Vortex keeps intervening before I can complete posts and pics.  Even got statistics & percentages figured, but I don't want to spoil the "reveal", when someday I finally outpace The Vortex. 

I'll say this much - I passed 500 some years back - some may remember Moparhound going thru and counting his massive stash to see how many more he had over me (hint, he had a crap-ton of 'em  :)) ).  That was either here or over at GJ, can't remember.  Also won't approach 1000 for a good many years, as acquisitions have dropped off ('cause I got so %#!!*&! many now it's a lot more difficult to remember what I already have, even with an Excel spreadsheet list...).

I like the way JAFE put it earlier - he's been frugal.  I'll be a little more blunt and admit being a total cheap-@ss.  Only about 6.5% of the total are from the Big 4 truck brands, with close to 1/2 of them from Snap-On.  I'll also note that I've got @ 130 different "USA" stamped brands represented, and a good 20 more noted but no ratchet (yet).   Those two snippets should indicate two things - there's a much larger number of USA ratchet/socket "brands" out there than likely any of us ever could have imagined, and a full collection of one of each ever made would be scary HUUUGE and floor collapse capable if money was no limitation.  Does anyone have any idea about how many ratchet models Snap-On has produced?  That alone has gotta be scary big...

And after that, here's a few more crappy cellphone pics of more triple plays:

Firestone
Craftsman from Plomb
Powr-Kraft from Wright
Bluegrass from Wright (with blue tootsie rolls too)

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 08:54:02 PM »
A few more:

Armstrong -91 (flattened handle)
Armstrong -903
Action open head
Companion open head (maybe by Wright Forge? Unique use of outside snap rings on the drive gear, unlike other open heads)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:57:29 PM by PowderKeg »

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
And the last for probably a little while - heading out on a Bourbon Pilgrimage back to the Holy Lands of Kentucky and the Sacred Cities of Louisville, Bardstown, and Frankfort later this week.

K-D Easco pear heads
K-D Danaher
Craftsman early MDF smooth beam and indented beam

Man these crappy cellphone pics really are crappy!  Gotta look into that for the future...

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 09:25:19 PM »
You have quite a few very desirable ratchets there very impressive.

Well put PowderKeg there are so many brands and so many variations even with very deep pockets finding some would be a quest that would Bilbo's adventure finding Smaug's treasure look easy (except you wouldn't have to deal with the almost getting killed around every corner part).

Whatever happened to Mopar?

I started the ratchet collecting when I got the idea to collect one of every ratchet Snap-on made. That was me being naive and not understanding the depth of my quest. I have no idea how many different ratchets they made over the years but the number has to be staggering and some are very very hard to find.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 10:26:57 PM »
You have quite a few very desirable ratchets there very impressive.

Well put PowderKeg there are so many brands and so many variations even with very deep pockets finding some would be a quest that would Bilbo's adventure finding Smaug's treasure look easy (except you wouldn't have to deal with the almost getting killed around every corner part).

Whatever happened to Mopar?

I started the ratchet collecting when I got the idea to collect one of every ratchet Snap-on made. That was me being naive and not understanding the depth of my quest. I have no idea how many different ratchets they made over the years but the number has to be staggering and some are very very hard to find.
Makes me glad my ratchet quest is so basic.
I really just want to have a nice little compact 1/4 set thats as inclusive as it can be for as compact as it is, and I'd like to find THE 1/4" ratchet for me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
... and I'd like to find THE 1/4" ratchet for me.

:D That's what they all say. Welcome to the madness.  :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2018, 12:13:19 AM »

I honestly like everything about my Craftsman tear drop except the plastic parts, and could easily take or leave the QR.
If I find a old Craftsman teardrop without a QR I'm not sure I'd be looking anymore, not that I'm actively searching as what I have currently works.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »
It always starts that way.

I only had a single ratchet once.

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 07:31:00 AM »

Yup, ya done stepped onto the slippery slope - we'll be waitin' for ya at the bottom!