Author Topic: I've got a small project that needs welding.  (Read 3536 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I've got a small project that needs welding.
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
I've got an old single shot .22 with let's just say a broken bolt handle ( stripped threads ) and since I'm a lefty anyways the plan is just a knob welded to the back.

This is just the quick mockup and I've gotta make the actual one later today, but I need the knob welded on, and an extension welded to the spring guide / cocking indicator.
I'm going to make and prep everything, and make something that will align the cocking knob during welding.
I just need someone who's willing to weld it for me, I will pay anyone willing to help me out
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

Re: I've got a small project that needs welding.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 10:16:46 AM »
That's a little above my skillset.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 11:14:32 AM »
just my 2 cents worth. the bolt handle generally has 4 jobs. it allows you to rotate the bolt, it tells you the position of the mechanism in the bolt to the receiver, it gives you leverage to move the bolt back and forth and lastly makes sure that all things are in the right position at the right times. all fairly important things.

i don't see how a simple knob on the back will allow you to do all of those things.

all of that said. if you just want add a knob to the back, maybe drilling, tapping and fastening a knob would be a better solution. take all that i have said only as food for thought as i am not a gunsmith and without actually seeing and handling the weapon i can only guess at how it operates.

repairing  the bolt back to original with helicoil or some other thread insert is always an option as well.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
just my 2 cents worth. the bolt handle generally has 4 jobs. it allows you to rotate the bolt, it tells you the position of the mechanism in the bolt to the receiver, it gives you leverage to move the bolt back and forth and lastly makes sure that all things are in the right position at the right times. all fairly important things.

i don't see how a simple knob on the back will allow you to do all of those things.

all of that said. if you just want add a knob to the back, maybe drilling, tapping and fastening a knob would be a better solution. take all that i have said only as food for thought as i am not a gunsmith and without actually seeing and handling the weapon i can only guess at how it operates.

repairing  the bolt back to original with helicoil or some other thread insert is always an option as well.
Can't drill and tap it because there's a hole where the spring guide protrudes as a cocking indicator.

I've tested this gun without the bolt handle and I can mostly operate it as is , It just wasn't that easy without anything to hold onto.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 03:17:07 PM »
Here's the bolt on this old pre-war Mossberg.
It's a simple cock on closing design with a single locking lug in the rear which is seen from the outside, there's really not a lot going on here and in this case I say the bolt handle really is little more than just a handle. Were it a cock on open design then I could see the added leverage of a handle coming into play.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:21:33 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 11:32:52 PM »
I can't help you personally, as I am up in Oregon, but there is a good gunsmith outside Roseville in Granite Bay. Don't remember his name, but he is the only one out there I believe. I think there is one up in Redding also.

There is one in Woodland, but he isn't very good.

But, if all you need is a handle, and a threaded one was in position before, I would bet you could enlarge the hole and re-tap it. Even with the cocking indicator. It will just take a bit more disassembly. You can probably find a parts diagram at Gunparts.com. (Numrich Arms)

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »
I can't help you personally, as I am up in Oregon, but there is a good gunsmith outside Roseville in Granite Bay. Don't remember his name, but he is the only one out there I believe. I think there is one up in Redding also.

There is one in Woodland, but he isn't very good.

But, if all you need is a handle, and a threaded one was in position before, I would bet you could enlarge the hole and re-tap it. Even with the cocking indicator. It will just take a bit more disassembly. You can probably find a parts diagram at Gunparts.com. (Numrich Arms)
Thanks for the Info.

The bolt is pretty simple , just 6 parts inside it counting springs and a pin.
The original plan was to ask my uncle to weld it next time I see him, but I doubt he's got his shop set up at his new place yet because he's been busy doing the work on the house.
I didn't want to take this gun to a gunsmith or anything because what they charge for work is more than the $60 this gun is worth.

Really all I need here is 1 piece of metal welded to another and was hoping I could just send it to someone with a little money for their time and the return shipping.

I can actually just make a longer guide / indicator instead of having the original extended.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:27:13 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »
Doubt anyone without a gunsmith's certification will take it on. Personally there are two things that I religiously don't take on for anyone -- firearms and pressure vessels. The potential legal ramifications of working on these items are huge.

The legal profession has gamed the system in such a way that if you welded on these items and it caused any injury down the road -- it's your fault; regardless of the prevailing evidence. Case law is not in your (the welder's) favor in such circumstances.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »
Doubt anyone without a gunsmith's certification will take it on. Personally there are two things that I religiously don't take on for anyone -- firearms and pressure vessels. The potential legal ramifications of working on these items are huge.

The legal profession has gamed the system in such a way that if you welded on these items and it caused any injury down the road -- it's your fault; regardless of the prevailing evidence. Case law is not in your (the welder's) favor in such circumstances.
Good point.
Maybe I'll just have to Find a way I can get the original bolt handle to attach back on securely.

I sure don't want to just buy another bolt online for $60, and at 80 years old by now the original bolt assemblies I've found available were overall rougher in condition than mine.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 01:25:16 PM »
Brownells sells threadlockers that might work very well in this application. I would start there, and they are pretty good at answering questions.

It is nice to see someone younger looking to repair something and not just throw it away. So good on you!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »
Brownells sells threadlockers that might work very well in this application. I would start there, and they are pretty good at answering questions.

It is nice to see someone younger looking to repair something and not just throw it away. So good on you!
I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up.
Growing up poor I always wanted to try and fix anything before throwing it away because that was the difference between having it and not because there was no replacement coming.
Always lookin' to learn