Author Topic: New digital electric meter  (Read 4891 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: New digital electric meter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »
I wonder if they can actually shut the power off? Seems like a pretty small space to put switchgear in.

Yes

Power has to pass through the meter. With todays modern digitally integrated hardware a simple open /close circuit would be very easy. Just look at all of the stuff you can do with a VFD the size of a cell phone from 25 years ago.

I would love to pull one apart and see what its using to make and break 200+ amps in that little thing.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 05:16:45 PM »
The water meter went digital about 2-3 years ago.
The gas meter is still analog. They keep trying to get me to move it from the alley to the back of my house (and make me responsible for it) as they're getting tired of all the damage caused by traffic and vandals citiwide. But I ain't falling for it. not after the lessons I've learned with the power company.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
Our community went to auto read water meters several years back. They just collect data tho, no cutoff control, they still send people out to collect prior to disconnect. BUT... they do use it to find out who's cheating during the water conservation days when we're under drought restrictions.  :o