Author Topic: A Large or Heavy Picture or Mirror Hangar  (Read 1873 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
A Large or Heavy Picture or Mirror Hangar
« on: October 18, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
I have had a large painting hanging in my stairwell for a long time. Since I was taking it down I thought I'd show the method I used to hang it. I have used this on many large and heavy pictures and mirrors some well over 100 pounds. I needed something that would keep the frame level, hold it to the wall in California and be easy to hang since it's a pretty awkward area to access.

The guy at the bottom of the steps is not me he helped me set the ladder in place. The ladder is a Cosco brand really stable and really versatile if a bit heavy.

This is a product with the brand name of Zbar but there are other similar products and use the same general concept of interlocking sections - one attached to the wall and one to the frame. This comes in a light and heavy version for different weight applications. In this application I used one short piece because the painting and frame are very lightweight. Normally I'd use full length rails and on heavy or really heavy pieces I use a Zbar on the bottom of the frame and one on the top. When I do that I space them so the bottom rail to carries most of the weight. This way the frame joints are not bearing the weight.

The screws on the sides I use as stops if the frame moves sideways. Probably not necessary but I do it anyway - even here where the side walls would have stopped the frame.

The two sections about to engage. The bottom piece would be attached to the wall.

The two sections engaged.

The way I buy it it comes in a tube with four sections and runs about 30 or so but does not come with screws or anchors. I try to use enough screws so each has no more than about 5 pounds of load to carry.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: A Large or Heavy Picture or Mirror Hangar
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 05:56:50 PM »
Very good work. It's an age-old design, that woodworkers call a French Cleat -- and it does make the hanging of heavy cabinets more feasible.

I saw the ultimate French Cleat design when a gent I once knew a few decades ago had his old SCCA MG racecar hanging from his garage wall. That was a real cool look.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 07:29:45 PM »
I have seen a wooden version referred to as a French cleat. Clever idea and once you see it it's gee why I didn't I think of that.

I installed a built in microwave over the stove that used a similar design but a little more complex just to make it a little more difficult to line everything up.

I like this brand because it's so thin there is just over 1/8 gap to the wall some leave a much wider gap.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 07:37:31 PM »
You did a great job hanging that HUGE painting -- impressive piece of art work.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
I have a stairwell just like that and have been thinking about hanging something there. Now I have a good way of doing it. Don't know why I didn't think of a french cleat.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 08:31:28 PM »
It is not all that huge about 36 x 48. It was painted as a present for my mother when she remarried (she was a widow) by her second husband  - he was a professional artist. It looks much better in person than in the photo.