Author Topic: How to get metal to stick to concrete?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline m_fumich

How to get metal to stick to concrete?
« on: August 26, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »
I need to get a piece of metal to stick to a concrete stepping stone. The stepping stone is quite porous. The metal looks like stainless steel but a magnet won’t stick to it. I’ve tried JB Weld and Gorilla glue. The Gorilla Glue was absolutely worthless. The JB Weld worked pretty good but ultimately failed. I only applied the JB Weld to a 4” circular area. I might try a bigger spot. Is there something that will work better? Perhaps a construction adhesive. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

Re: How to get metal to stick to concrete?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 07:43:06 PM »
I don't know - I've had some difficulty in getting anything to stick to stainless reliably. Sorry, I don't know what grade of SS it was.

That Liquid Nails extreme grade sticks to everything I've used it on. (Have not tried stone to SS, though). Stone to stone was excellent adhesion.
My only complaint was - once opened - that caulk tube applicator hardens up after 2-3 weeks, no matter what cap trick I've used. So whenever I need to use it I just go into it figuring I have to use the whole tube or lose it.

https://www.liquidnails.com/products/extreme-heavy-duty-construction-adhesive#platform-statement
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:44:51 PM by bonneyman »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
The metal I’m using isn’t stainless. It just looks like it. Magnets won’t stick to it and I know they’ll stick to stainless. I doubt any of that matters though.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »
Some stainless is magnetic and some ain't. Not that it matters either way. If the bond to the metal is the one that's failing rough the metal up with a rock in an angle grinder then glue it immediately.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 07:58:52 PM »
With the JB WELD, that’s the bond that failed. It’s still on the concrete. I’m sure I can rough up the metal with my bench grinder. I’ll give it a try as soon as I get more JB WELD.