Author Topic: Craftsman 75th Anniversary Garage Door Opener  (Read 3019 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Craftsman 75th Anniversary Garage Door Opener
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:46:48 PM »
My Craftsman 1/2hp screw-drive garage door opener failed today.  It appears that the connection between the motor and the screw drive has failed.

Motor runs, screw does not turn.  My research of the parts breakdown shows a drive belt which seems to go between the motor and screw drive.

So has anyone else run into this issue?  I will certainly tear it apart to find the failed component but was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

It has a part #41A5389B  with a 11/02 date code.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Matt_T

Re: Craftsman 75th Anniversary Garage Door Opener
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
That part # appears to be the control board which fits several Craftsman and Liftmaster models. You'll probably need the opener part # to get the correct parts for it.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:22:17 AM »
Yes, I found that Liftmaster made this opener and the Sears part number for the assembly must be 139 53991SRT.

A look at the parts breakdown made me think the belt was a possibility but after removing the cover I could see the drive motor, worm gear and drive belt all turning.  What I did find was that the plastic screw drive coupling had broken.  A look on the Liftmaster web site shows one for about $4.00 so I called the local dealer to see if they had one in stock.  Nope.

I've got one on the way for $6.29 with shipping and tax.  Amazon has it for $9.

Will post some pictures when it arrives and I disassemble the unit.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:51:35 PM »
I now have an operational garage door for only $6 in parts.

The coupler that connects the drive screw to the spline on the drive gear had broken.  I installed this opener about 18 years ago and feel it has served me well.  I had suspected that the belt which connects the motor shaft with the drive gear had broken but fortunately found that it was the coupler as the belt is NLA.

This Sears Craftsman opener was made by Liftmaster and the part was available on their site for $6 with shipping and tax.  After finding the Liftmaster part number I decided to call a local dealer to see if they had it in stock.  I was informed no and when asked how they get them the reply was "we order it".  Just me, but if my employee did not say "we can get this for you in a couple days" we would have a talk.  After all, any new customer contact is good regardless of the amount the item costs.

I just had to lower and support the motor with a bungee and remove the rail from it to install the new coupler on the screw and reassemble.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:39:55 PM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 06:12:54 PM »
Quality opener - considering almost two decades of use. Great fix!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:07:43 AM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 05:12:09 AM »
Glad you were able to save it.  Great satisfaction fixing something most would have thought was trash