Author Topic: Some Positive Thoughts on Life with Covid  (Read 3682 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Some Positive Thoughts on Life with Covid
« on: October 09, 2020, 05:42:43 PM »
I am by nature reclusive. Not antisocial just content to be alone with my thoughts and my projects. For the first 3 months I pretty much never left the house. The closest I got was rolling the trash cans to the curb Wednesday evening and rolling them back Thursday morning.

My wife was going stir crazy but I was happy enough. I still almost never leave the house but I now sometimes run errands especially to HD, Lowes, ACE and the like. I am well suited to this it seems.

I also have discovered that despite the discomfort I like wearing a mask because of the anonymity it provides. I also like others wearing them so I don't have to smell their bad breath. Nothing like smelling someones breath who has eaten large quantities of garlic and onions or stale booze breath or that thinks brushing their teeth is an annual event. I like the physical distance in lines as one of my pet peeves is people crowding up behind me in line as if that will make the line move faster. When I feel their breath on my neck or bump them when I move my arms we are way way too close. I hope when this is over people are so ingrained with standing six feet apart the habit will remain. I have been known to take a step back and accidentally step on toes of people standing too close behind me.

I like not shaking hands with strangers. I have seen far too many walking out of a rest room without washing hands to be comfortable with that custom. Now with someone I know or trust I like shaking hands it is a custom that carries many meanings especially a good firm handshake meant as a genuine greeting. But not just anyone.

I guess the common theme here is I am wary of people I don't know and the new customs make it more acceptable to maintain that distance. So while there are a lot of sacrifices we are making and some people are struggling financially it's not all bad.

My best friends daughter works for a company that makes masks and other surgical items. They were working at 100% capacity before this all started and have had to ramp up production so that means whoever makes the machines and the materials is also ramping up and they have had to hire more people. It was a gamble - would this last long enough to justify the investment.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Some Positive Thoughts on Life with Covid
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »
I share some of those sentiments you have. When the shutdown started the lack of traffic on the roads was nice. However the panicked shoppers emptying out the shelves in grocery stores made shopping a PITA. Getting up extremely early on a weekend to go to HD to avoid standing in line sucked.

I am trying to think of more positives but then I can't help but think of the many people getting screwed by the state of NV as they have not yet received any payments of the money given to the state by the feds to distribute to the people. Our state is either very inept or they are collecting the float they are getting on the money by not paying it out. They claim it may take over a year to get the money paid out which is unacceptable.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »
I agree Steve, but then again we're more on the senior end of the age spectrum and we can live more easily with these restrictions. That said, I feel sorry for young folks whose daily lives revolved, and were grounded by social interactions at the workplace, school, entertainment, life events, etc. I see a lot of young folks feeling the pressures of isolation and social distancing.

From a personal perspective, I haven't missed the crowds in the stores and on the streets one bit......BUT then again, I'm retired. I can afford to live this way.  ;)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 07:09:13 PM »
I have to get out some every day. I wear a mask because every business in town has been "ordered" to by our mayor to demand this, so, in order to transact business, I have to ear a mask. I am under no illusions that it protects me or anyone else from a virus sized particle. I does give me anonymity. With all the cameras and facial recognition going on I heard that one of the downsides of a mask is it does affect facial recognition percentages. Why paint a target on my back for now reason?

I have eliminated handshakes, I do the surgeons thing (elbows, feet, or a plastic glove) in public restrooms (when I can find them), and turn my back to people if I have to walk too close. But I don't think COVID will ever get to a zero transmission rate because it's an airborne type of bug. Like influenza - it's here to stay. :91:

While I believe there's a COVID bug out there, I think wholeheartedly that the hype surrounding it is way overblown and responsible for much more of the chaos than the actual virus. And I personally do not think an effective vaccine is coming. That is why I think there's the increasing talk of "things will never be normal until there's a vaccine" - because there never will be a vaccine. Certain people are trying to keep folks afraid.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
I enjoy working at home for the most part, but I miss going in the office 1-2 times a week.  I do think the older you are, the easier it is to deal with.  I wouldn't want to be twenty these days for a variety of reasons, not the least of which would be taking college classes online.  You should be interacting with people your own age in person, not through your phone or computer.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:00:29 PM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
I agree Steve, but then again we're more on the senior end of the age spectrum and we can live more easily with these restrictions. That said, I feel sorry for young folks whose daily lives revolved, and were grounded by social interactions at the workplace, school, entertainment, life events, etc. I see a lot of young folks feeling the pressures of isolation and social distancing.

From a personal perspective, I haven't missed the crowds in the stores and on the streets one bit......BUT then again, I'm retired. I can afford to live this way.  ;)
As one of those young folks I can say yes it did affect us. We were the type that usually did something every weekend to break up the normalcy of the week. With everything closed were in the house together....two 30 something adults with a 2 yr old and a 6 month old. It tested our sanity. Lol

Thankfully restrictions got lightened and we were able to get out if the house and back to some form of normalcy.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 08:29:32 PM »
I share some of those sentiments you have. When the shutdown started the lack of traffic on the roads was nice. However the panicked shoppers emptying out the shelves in grocery stores made shopping a PITA. Getting up extremely early on a weekend to go to HD to avoid standing in line sucked.

I am trying to think of more positives but then I can't help but think of the many people getting screwed by the state of NV as they have not yet received any payments of the money given to the state by the feds to distribute to the people. Our state is either very inept or they are collecting the float they are getting on the money by not paying it out. They claim it may take over a year to get the money paid out which is unacceptable.

I can give you a comparison, every country we give tax money for the growth of their economy............. Officials get the money, and some how it just never gets to the folks that need it

Ding dong the truth bell is ringing ...

BTW I thought the fed relief checks went straight to the citizens. ???

Regarding the virus  ......... not afraid
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:31:10 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 08:31:50 PM »
I'm ready for this crap to be over. I hate wearing a mask. I feel like an armed robber putting a mask on before going into a store. Now they got this idiotic rule that you wear a mask while entering a restraunt but you can take it off at the table. I guess when your sitting your immune?? I try to avoid going in anywhere that requires the mask for more than a few minutes. I have no issues with wearing a full face respirator or SCBA because I know they work. that little piece of cloth meh :banghead:

The stay at home thing wasn't an option for me, but the closed restraunts and convenience store food sucked. We were given 1/2 weeks for about 3 weeks then they figured out we weren't getting everything done so that was cancelled. And just try and get a service tech to come in and work on something. We're just now getting some things looked at after a 3 month wait.

I dont see us ever getting away from the masks at this point. Too many people out there who were germaphobe before this mess started, now they feel justified.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
It does brush up against politics which I hope to avoid here.

All I do know is I am in a category that is considered high risk and don't wish to play the odds. Besides I like the social distancing.

I do feel very bad for all the people who are out of work and for the socially inclined it must be pretty hard. I wonder if it will affect the social skills of those just developing them. I know in the case of my brother and I we grew up in a neighborhood devoid of other kids and while he's more social than I am he's not all that much more social. We may be growing a generation of J.A.F.E.s!

Hows that for a thought?

On a more serious note the virus will likely be with us for a very long time. The bubonic plaque is still around and people still die from it and that has been around almost 700 years - maybe much longer.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 09:17:39 PM »
Sorry if I brought a little politics into it but people are truly suffering because of it. I am at higher risk so I take plenty of precautions. I can stay home for a week no problem with no desire to venture out. The wife has to go to work 5 days a week but is not really a social person doing things like girls night out. I think the rural living has a lot to do with it.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:58:04 PM »
It was a general comment not aimed at anyone or any comment in particular. No apologies needed.

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »
Given a choice of a crowded venue, concert, ballgame, whatever I would stay home, so being homebound is no problem.  Sitting in a clinic waiting room 10 ft from the next person was strange.  Had poison ivy that was not leaving.  Restaurants at half capacity doesnt bother me,  again, always avoided crowds.   Home cooking has gotten old, but we ramped up the variety.  Getting ahead on projects for once. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »
Yeah, don't worry about skirting near politics.

Look, life is about risks. we all face risk everyday, and we're supposed to weigh those risks. personally I couldn't go rock climbing up in Yosemite - gravity is a BIG risk there! But if some young adventurer wants to give it a go, it's his life and he takes the risks. Unless of course he falls on someone at the base!  :a102:

I'm in a higher risk group (they say) concerning COVID. It's up to me to decide whether to go outside or not. Personally I feel it's a bigger risk driving on the streets of Tucson with all the numbnuts out there, but, if I want to go somewhere I assume the risk.
Lots of people tell me, "Well, you wear a mask to protect others - not yourself". I'm not convinced any of the normal masks people buy are that effective. The advice from the supposed experts at the medical establishments is so conflicting. Then  during a recent spike the doctor or whoever he was said if we just re-locked down for 6,8, 10, 12 weeks we would be over it. Well, which is it? I really think they don't have a clue about the thing.
Anyway - each should assess the risk and act accordingly. I'm so done with gubmint mandates.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 11:55:04 AM »
I'm convinced these lockdowns accomplish nothing except destroy the economy and mental health.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »
I'm convinced these lockdowns accomplish nothing except destroy the economy and mental health.

+1 == agreed!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »
Just saw this pop up on yahoo news -- good read in light of our discussions.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boomers-other-retirees-handling-pandemic-010052111.html

Offline walrus

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
I worked more since Covid started. I'm essential personnel.  I've made more money, I've worked all over the state, stayed in hotels but I've tried to limit my exposure where I can. I'm content to stay at home but I have to go out to live so I do

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »
I worked more since Covid started. I'm essential personnel.  I've made more money, I've worked all over the state, stayed in hotels but I've tried to limit my exposure where I can. I'm content to stay at home but I have to go out to live so I do

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm so glad I'm not doing HVAC full time anymore. being an essential worker, I'd be out there do filter service on apartment buildings and large commercial properties. And I can tell you from experience is that such filters are totally gross- and now I'd have to be on guard against COVID!  :-\