Author Topic: Lawn mower troubles  (Read 4710 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Lawn mower troubles
« on: October 12, 2020, 03:18:45 PM »
Just bought it maybe a year ago if that and it won't start 
Made a siphon to remove the gas I put in it, changed the spark plug, completely went all through the " plastic carburetor "  :a102: ,  cleaned the air filter...you name it I've done everything I can think of and it still just won't even try to start  :41:
I needed to mow so I just went to the hardware store and bought a new one ( yeah I know ), seems nicer and has a bigger engine for the same money the other cost. Hopefully it lasts longer.

The plan is to hopefully get the other running and either use it as a backup or try to maybe get $75-$100 for it , it was about $275 new and it's been about a year so that sounds about right if I can get it going.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:26:37 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline coolmercury

Re: Lawn mower troubles
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 03:39:13 PM »
Did you check to see if it had spark?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:51:26 PM »
Also, spray a little Carb Clean into the carb and give it a yank.  If it fires an runs for a few seconds, you know you have spark and fuel is the problem

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 03:54:23 PM »
Did you check to see if it had spark?
It has spark, getting fuel to the carb, carb was pretty clean.
I have just discovered it's not getting fuel to the combustion chamber though, the spark plug came out as clean and dry as it was when I unpacked it yesterday.
It seems weird that it would have a clean unclogged carburetor and no fuel getting to the combustion chamber.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 04:40:34 PM »
I put some gas in a spray bottle, took off the spark plug and sprayed directly into the combustion chamber.
Got it to fire up for a second,  but it's just not getting fuel to the combustion chamber for some reason.
Maybe the carburetor is bad or something,  but it looked perfectly fine inside.

I'll get some carb cleaner and maybe some startee fluid tomorrow and see what happens.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »

......I'll get some carb cleaner and maybe some startee fluid tomorrow and see what happens.

Blow out the fuel line backwards through the fuel tank. Sometimes just a bit of dirt/rust that settles at the bottom will clog the line just enough to impede good fuel flow.

Also -- if it has a fuel filter; change it. Fuel is crap these days, and the filters usually don't make it through the winter without some problems. I change mine every spring, and it starts right up.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:59:47 PM by goodfellow »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »

......I'll get some carb cleaner and maybe some startee fluid tomorrow and see what happens.

Blow out the fuel line backwards through the fuel tank. Sometimes just a bit of dirt/rust that settles at the bottom will clog the line just enough to impede good fuel flow.

Also -- if it has a fuel filter; change it. Fuel is crap these days, and the filters usually don't make it through the winter without some problems. I change mine every spring, and it starts right up.
Sadly the filter is either built into the tank or non existent.

I'll try to blow it out some more and see what happens.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:26:26 PM »
I had to buy a new carb on amazon for 13 bucks . They are throwaways now. Mine was leaking and hard to start. It has a primer bulb. The auto choke models  last about 2 years and then You are supposed to replace the carb as the normal maintenance, at a $50 price tag. Good luck
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:13:48 AM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
 The plastic carbs warp and leak bad at the gas tank. Replacement is the only option. At $ 13.00 on Amazon or Ebay , it makes no sense to rebuild. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 10:59:25 AM »
I had to buy a new carb on amazon for 13 bucks . They are throwaways now. Mine was leaking and hard to start. It has a primer bulb. The auto choke models  last about 2 years and then You are supposed to replace the carb as the normal maintenance, at a $50 price tag. Good luck
The auto carbs with no priming bulb are a two year part and that's it ?
Damn, that's exactly what I just bought.

I'm still gonna try to get this one going with some carb cleaner and starter fluid, but if the carb is that cheap buying a new one won't be that big of a deal.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »
Went through something similar with mine...John Deere with a Briggs & Stratton engine.  Several years old but been having problems the last couple years. Repair shop wasn't fixing the problem so pulled carb apart and found it totally clogged with jelled fuel (f'ing ethanol crap).  Got a carb kit, reassembled but it still wouldn't start without a shot of gas through the plug hole.  Self priming (supposedly). 

Worked for a while but then started dying randomly, or threatening to.  Long story short, took it in for repair (to a different shop this time) and the solution was carb replacement.  Works great now.  Fuel stabilizer is a must.

Good luck with yours!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 11:30:34 AM »
I'm still gonna try to get this one going with some carb cleaner and starter fluid,

You've already confirmed the engine will run by squirting gas in it. Just buy carb cleaner and tear the carb back down. Poke the jets with wire to make sure they're clear. Blow all the passages out with compressed air if you've got it. Also check the needle isn't stuck and the fuel inlet is clear. Just because fuel is getting to the carb doesn't mean it's getting in the bowl.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »
I'm still gonna try to get this one going with some carb cleaner and starter fluid,

You've already confirmed the engine will run by squirting gas in it. Just buy carb cleaner and tear the carb back down. Poke the jets with wire to make sure they're clear. Blow all the passages out with compressed air if you've got it. Also check the needle isn't stuck and the fuel inlet is clear. Just because fuel is getting to the carb doesn't mean it's getting in the bowl.
I already tore the carb completely down and everything was clear.
The carb cleaner and starter fluid got it running but just like the 20 year old mower it replaced its running rough and struggling so I went ahead and spent the $15 shipped on the carburetor kit
That comes with the carb, new priming bulb, spark plug, and new air filter.

Once I get going properly again I'm just gonna sell it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »

Sadly the filter is either built into the tank or non existent.

I'll try to blow it out some more and see what happens.

If the filter is built into the tank, try running it off an auxiliary tank.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »

The carb cleaner and starter fluid got it running but just like the 20 year old mower it replaced its running rough and struggling so I went ahead and spent the $15 shipped on the carburetor kit

I've found that purchasing a replacement carb has been money better spent than trying to rebuild a small engine carburetor.  Most are relatively inexpensive.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 08:18:11 PM »
Since I've switched to ethanol free fuel, my small engine troubles have disappeared.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 08:32:49 AM »
Since I've switched to ethanol free fuel, my small engine troubles have disappeared.

That is all I use in everything that requires gas. Here is a site that lists where to get clear gas in every state.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

I am also using PRI-G fuel treatment and stabilizer in everything. One ounce will treat 16gals of gas and I bought the 32oz bottle off Amazon and you can get it at Camping World or Gander Outdoors for around $38 and it will treat 512gals.

https://priproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2015-PRI-G-Flyer.pdf
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:46:50 AM by DeadNutz »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 05:02:00 PM »

I've found that purchasing a replacement carb has been money better spent than trying to rebuild a small engine carburetor.  Most are relatively inexpensive.
Yep, they are plastic, there is no fixing.  The next time a motor acts up just google the motor name and model number and what it is doing and you will get change carburetor, every time.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline walrus

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 05:09:24 PM »
Yup

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
Well it looks like I've already got a buyer lined up.
I was talking with my buddy and it turns out he needed a new lawnmower, so I told him once I get done with it he can have it for $100.
I even just pressure washed it ( maybe used it a dozen times in a year , so it looks about new all washed off ), and have all the paperwork.

He actually said " it's cool you knew how to fix it " and I told him " dude it's a lawnmower not a sports car " and he laughed.
Always lookin' to learn