Author Topic: An observation  (Read 2457 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

An observation
« on: October 17, 2020, 02:27:03 PM »
I have noticed that a lot of things are much easier to work on / repair than I would have thought when I was a kid,  and I believe there are 3 fundamental haves for doing the work.
From servicing a lawnmower,  changing an electrical receptical , or even fixing up a throw away bicycle.
Many young people my age just don't seem to have the fundamentals needed to perform these small repairs.

#1 an interest in tools and the mechanical

#2 the mindset that each problem that needs fixing is another skill learned.

#3 a basic set of tools.

With these 3 things there are so many things one can fix that they might never have thought they could, and in the age of endless YouTube tutorials it's even easier.
 Not to mention theap tools are also better than cheap tools of the past, so anyone who doesn't care about  COO can quickly gather a basic set of tools on a very low budget if they're interested.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

Re: An observation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 02:36:36 PM »
You can hand a young person a screwdriver and a good percentage won't know which end to use. When I was young I had to work with my father and older brother cleaning swimming pools. I had to learn to use tools and hand my dad the right one when he asked for it. We also had shop classes starting in middle school and learned safety especially with power and sharp tools. The opportunity is lacking today for the younger kids to learn by working with tools. They may also see their parents trashing something when it quits working and buy a new one.

I don't even want to count the hours and dollars spent trying to fix broken things that had to be trashed. But saving items using tools and brains is very rewarding when you pull it off. :great: 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
I have noticed that a lot of things are much easier to work on / repair than I would have thought when I was a kid,  and I believe there are 3 fundamental haves for doing the work.
From servicing a lawnmower,  changing an electrical receptical , or even fixing up a throw away bicycle.
Many young people my age just don't seem to have the fundamentals needed to perform these small repairs.

#3 a basic set of tools.

It's the new mindset: don't repair when you can buy new. So many of the new widgets aren't made to last long because people have been trained and expect to "upgrade" quickly, so, why make them to last?

I feel sorry for the tool collectors of the future. We have 50-100 year old treasures to be found and cherished - there won't be any of today's tools still around in 100 years.   :41:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »

#3 a basic set of tools.

It's the new mindset: don't repair when you can buy new. So many of the new widgets aren't made to last long because people have been trained and expect to "upgrade" quickly, so, why make them to last?

I feel sorry for the tool collectors of the future. We have 50-100 year old treasures to be found and cherished - there won't be any of today's tools still around in 100 years.   :41:
Isn't that a good thing ?
I look at a tool from the 40' and remember people like my grandfather,  I don't want someone looking at an ugly gimmicky tool from today and remembering me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:49:20 PM »
I have been helping a young man, who just moved in across the street, replace the f&r brakes on his Chrysler 200.

I offered him my impact, sockets, torque wrench, etc ...  I also offered my guidance/advise/help on a few related tasks.

Turns out he's a recent grad school graduate hired to do software for Chrysler's engine controls/propulsion division.

He wants to learn more about auto mechanical repairs and has taken some of their technical courses for their repair technicians. He's following YouTube videos for the brake How-To's, and is generally doing fine.

He did need help removing a stuck lug nut that was way over torqued (not by him) and became stuck in an extractor when a 3/8"x1/2" adapter also broke off in the extractor. Luckily, I was able to remove the lug nut/extractor/adapter with a 18mm impact socket on a Milwaukee 1/2" M18 impact. It's a monster, and was the cause of the broken adapter. -- I did warned him it could break off a stud if he wasn't careful with it.

He was a bit discouraged, but I think he felt somewhat better when I explained a lot of repairs have some 'gotcha'.

I'm glad to help him out. My son is a brilliant research scientist and my son-in-law a special ed/foot ball coach, but they are not interested in fixing their own cars. When they have to, they can and do fix their cars, but would rather have me do it.

It's funny, 20 years ago I was helping my neighbor's son that lived in the very same house fix his cars.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:51:39 PM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 10:18:32 PM »
Once you get the basic concepts down, you can work on just about anything.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 10:39:25 AM »
I've got a young Asian guy at work I've been corrupting err I mean helping. He is very curious about things but has zero practical experience. Hes teaching me some computer stuff and I show him some things I know.  We've built AR's. rifles, pistols, now we're looking at 80%. Hes gotten a couple of suppressors. I traded him a welding machine for reloaded ammo. We got of into reloading. I buy the equipment and supplies and he builds the rounds. Now we're getting into deer hunting. I laugh, the last deer I shot was before this kid was born :hee20hee20hee: 

I can show him the practical side and he runs with it. He'll jump into something then come to me for how to fix it. Challenges my skill set sometimes. Never too old to learn something new.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »
Yep, I'm learning new things all of the time.
Even if it's just useless trivia I hope may win me a game show one day

Just today I learned that my PO box has a lip in the front opening that it doesn't in the back panel,  they actually put a box in there that I could not remove  :017:
So I reached in with my pocket knife, opened the package to extract its contents,  then squeezed it and pulled it out.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
My son has a very basic set of tools to fit his skills.  He is using them and helping around the house already.

Soon he may need more than basics to do what he kniws.  He is 10, and growing fast.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 12:48:13 PM »
I think a lot of folks are intimidated by the simplest repairs. My girlfriend needed right side outer tie rod  for her Toyota. Dealer wanted $ 300.00 + . I did it in less than an hour with her very basic tool set which included a pipe wrench , adjustable , and hammer.  Her father was over and questioned every thing I did.  He freeked when I used a hammer to remove the tie rod. This is one of the easiest repairs and to some unthinkable to do at home. He is an engineer and gave me a lecture on how I damaged the tie rod hole and I should replace the steering knuckle.   

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »

Yeah, like unplug the device before you work on it.  :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 11:34:19 PM »

Yeah, like unplug the device before you work on it.  :))
This reminds me of a sobering experience I had early last year.
I was resealing a 1965 Crosman model 140 air rifle , and after I got done and had it back together I gave it a few pumps and " dry fired " it at the shop floor.
Well it turns out there was a pellet chambered in it and I completely forgot to check it first, I should have remembered that it's common to find non working airguns that someone tried to shoot.
I put that pellet in a labeled container and stored it in my safe as a reminder.
Always lookin' to learn