Author Topic: The Farmer Returns The Favor.  (Read 2585 times)

Offline muddy

The Farmer Returns The Favor.
« on: November 03, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »
The exchange from a certain farmer arrived. Looks like some great beer, and goodies!!!

Thanks SK!!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: The Farmer Returns The Favor.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 10:15:45 PM »
Pretty nice! Cheers -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 11:22:59 PM »
better late than never! :)

how did ya like that packing job? 10 pounds of shit in a five pound bag!  :lol_hitting:

trd is one of the companies my buddy reps for and i grow seed production soybeans for remington. if i remembered correctly you liked the zoobs nuts. enjoy my friend! :08:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:33:09 AM »
Looks like a great selection there!

I will say the name Beaver Island Brewing makes me smile with naughty thoughts :))
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 07:38:13 AM by fatfillup »

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:17:18 PM »
better late than never! :)

how did ya like that packing job? 10 pounds of shit in a five pound bag!  _hitting:

trd is one of the companies my buddy reps for and i grow seed production soybeans for remington. if i remembered correctly you liked the zoobs nuts. enjoy my friend! :08:
You got a great selection packed in there! And yes I love those nuts!!!

Thanks again!!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 08:03:40 AM »
i grow seed production soybeans for remington

Can you talk about this some more? I know seed corn production well (our family has trucked pioneer green corn for seed production for years)  do seed beans require special harvesting equipment/different trucking/ unique drying systems like corn?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
i grow seed production soybeans for remington

Can you talk about this some more? I know seed corn production well (our family has trucked pioneer green corn for seed production for years)  do seed beans require special harvesting equipment/different trucking/ unique drying systems like corn?

soybean seed production is much like growing commercial grade soybeans, in fact it is almost exactly the same. i obtain the seed from them. usually in 40 unit totes. we pick a field suited to the variety and the amount of seed they have available. i have had varieties that have only been grown on my farm at that time. the biggest issues are cleanout of planting and harvest  equipment going into the crop to reduce contamination. from there it is making sure that trucks and storage equipment are clean as. well. bins are always inspected to be clean. on takeout, they are always moved with a special vac that handles them gently.

this year i had a stewereded variety (extendaflex) i had to all of the above plus leave an isolation strip 15 feet wide around the borders and do extra cleanout on any equipment leaving the field as to not mix that variety with any of my other production. all cleanout was done in field and left on the ground.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 09:25:05 AM »
Remington is a brand we dont see around here much, which has always seemed puzzling to me being there is a Remington soybean plant just a few miles from our house. Are their seeds labeled Remington or do they do lots of privet labeling? I know the pioneer plant back home in the last 5 years has been bagging lots of different labels beside pioneer.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 10:32:39 AM »
remington is a contract producer. brand "a" is in need of x number of units of seed. they go to remington and they find the number of acres it takes to produce it for them. they supply remington the seed  to sell to me and in turn i sell the production back to them. remington conditions the seed and sells it back to the original owner or sells it to someone else with a portion of the sale going back to the original own. clear as mud right?

sometimes every bushel gets taken, sometime half of it. sometimes none of it. one year i had 40 acres of a variety. every last seed of that variety was on my farm, at least that remington had. it was fabulous. tall lush plants with great color. the seeds were perfect. the yield was outstanding. we thought it was a slam dunk and they would take every bushel and i was going to plant more of it the next year.  the parent company never gave it a second look. it sat in a bin all winter. and it got flushed down the pit at the elevator as commercial production, never to be seen again.

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
remington is a contract producer. brand "a" is in need of x number of units of seed. they go to remington and they find the number of acres it takes to produce it for them. they supply remington the seed  to sell to me and in turn i sell the production back to them. remington conditions the seed and sells it back to the original owner or sells it to someone else with a portion of the sale going back to the original own. clear as mud right?

sometimes every bushel gets taken, sometime half of it. sometimes none of it. one year i had 40 acres of a variety. every last seed of that variety was on my farm, at least that remington had. it was fabulous. tall lush plants with great color. the seeds were perfect. the yield was outstanding. we thought it was a slam dunk and they would take every bushel and i was going to plant more of it the next year.  the parent company never gave it a second look. it sat in a bin all winter. and it got flushed down the pit at the elevator as commercial production, never to be seen again.
Does Rem. handle only bulk or do they package in bags and pro-box's as well?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
I would say an equal split of bulk and bag/boxes. Probably only a percent if that go in single unit paper. At least in this area.