Author Topic: Replacing my little clamp on bench vise  (Read 2133 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Replacing my little clamp on bench vise
« on: November 03, 2020, 09:20:56 PM »
So I've been looking to upgrade the little 3" clamp on bench vise I have on my small detail / airgun work bench for a while now and just got around to looking.
Currently I have this 3" pony I picked up at the flea market a few years back that turned out to be made in China,  it works but it falls short in the quality department and I really just don't enjoy using it.

Really the only thing I like about it is the ability to lock it down with screws.

I went looking on Ebay and found this barely used Stanley handyman lot.

2 small planes, and the H1210 2.5" swiveling bench vise in barely used condition.
The handle is a little bent which I'll straighten out, but all in all condition seems very good.
From what I've seen of these they appear to be much better quality than the current little Pony that I have,  and they're just so darn cool looking.
I love the classic styling.

I know the handyman line was homeowner grade, but it's decent American made stuff that should serve me well.

I'm pretty sure I way overpaid at $83 shipped, but I do tend to pay more for stuff than you guys do in the wild because theres not a lot out here and people tend to want a premium for stuff.
If I have to pay more for stuff already,  I'm fine even paying more than that on Ebay if the condition is much better.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:50:19 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
Re: Replacing my little clamp on bench vise
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 09:38:05 PM »
I have been beating on a 2.5" no name vise at home for 15 years.  Its tougher than it looks and only lack of depth has ever been its fail.

Looks a lot like the Stanley.  Expect good service.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 11:34:27 PM »
That should work out good for the airgun and detail work. It is your choice and business what you want to pay for something and you won't hear any criticism out of me.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 07:30:43 AM »
Prices have gone up at auctions since Covid.  Getting harder to find bargains on the used market,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,except at the Fatman's store,,,,,,,,,,,,,,where everything is a bargain :))

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 08:34:10 AM »
The Handyman series was marketed as the economy  line.  Since then the quality of everything else seems to have slipped,  now they look good.  Funny how the older stuff is beefier than the current offerings, just my opinion.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
The Handyman series was marketed as the economy  line.  Since then the quality of everything else seems to have slipped,  now they look good.  Funny how the older stuff is beefier than the current offerings, just my opinion.
Yeah, the standards were higher and now what was once the economy line would have to he sold as mid range or higher compared to their standard fair today.

The only other Line of Stanley branded hand tools is Fatmax and it's not actually much better, it's just styled aggressively and coated in a bunch of rubber so it seems rugged.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:38:03 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
I'll have it today or tomorrow,  and the perfect opportunity to use it is scheduled to arrive today,  so im.very excited to put this vice to use.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »

At first I thought it was stuck and wouldn't swivel, then I realized it's got a spring loaded plunger that locks It Into about 8 different positions  :banghead: :banghead:
Took me a minute to realize you gotta pull up on the knob  :-[
]
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 06:49:35 PM »
That is a cool little vise!  Looks in great shape

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 07:00:28 PM »
That is a cool little vise!  Looks in great shape
Yeah I'm not sure it was ever used at all.
Maybe dropped or something to cause the minor handle bend, but that's it and it's nice and smooth.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:15:58 PM »
So I've already used this vice some today and have some things to say about it.

First of all it's nice and smooth In the jaw opening with little slop.
The quick locking multiple positions is very convenient,  though it does sacrifice the infinite positions a normal swivel vice offers.

You also sacrifice a bit of stability because you can't tighten it down tight and rigid.
For my uses though I'm fine with this and don't mind keeping a quick lock clamp handy when more stability is needed.

If I was to flatten and smooth the mating surfaces then put a shim in it I could probably have little to no play and maintain smooth operation,  but in the end I'd probably just be trying to turn this into something it's not.

Always lookin' to learn