Author Topic: Can you ell me what went wrong here ?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Can you ell me what went wrong here ?
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:17:31 PM »
Was it the cheap100% recycled polyester shirt ( didn't even think about the material till after), the lack of a leather shop apron because it's too damn hot, a failure to realize I had the guard on my angle grinder sending sparks right back at me, or a combination of all 3 things ?

Clearly I've still got a lot to learn, and need to remember to take every single precaution possible even when I'm just zipping off a  small piece of 16th thick 1075 real quick.

I had my ear and eye pro on, but shit happens and I need to do better.

Are there lightweight shop aprons that are at least somewhat flame resistant ?

I've never had an issue before and obviously this shirt was just overly flammable,  but I still should probably have some kind of apron in case I forget and wear an unsuitable shirt.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:21:27 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Can you ell me what went wrong here ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 04:40:16 PM »
I seem to recall that Epstein's had some work aprons for sale. Can't remember any of the specs but you can check them out. They get NOS surplus stuff in all the time.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 04:51:27 PM »
Darn, that had to be fun :c002:

Never had an issue with the work wear and or t shirts I wear.  But I  normally don't do anything but quick cuts

I picked up an Ace shop apron at a sale, Nos, that would likely work well

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 05:15:04 PM »
Cotton work shirts Only when around sparks and flames.   Cotton may char but wont go poof.   Old blacksmiths advice.   You were lucky,  sometimes poly can adhere to skin when burning.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:19:11 PM »
Cotton work shirts Only when around sparks and flames.   Cotton may char but wont go poof.   Old blacksmiths advice.   You were lucky,  sometimes poly can adhere to skin when burning.
Luckily I had a T underneath

It was just a little flame, I slapped it twice and quickly ripped it off and tossed it on the floor when it kept going.
As soon as it hit the floor it really took off, and I dumped cup of water on it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 05:21:20 PM »
I seem to recall that Epstein's had some work aprons for sale. Can't remember any of the specs but you can check them out. They get NOS surplus stuff in all the time.
It doesn't have to be specifically flame retardant or anything,  I'll bet the HJE apron is good enough.
Certainly better than that shirt.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 05:24:36 PM »
Neighbor filled propane tractor at home.  10 minutes later lit up a smoke, poly shirt,  got home after 3 weeks in the burn unit.  Medics had to peel the shirt from neck, shoulder and chest.  He found out scar tissue will not sweat, just itches all summer.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 05:38:01 PM »
you learned a valuable lesson. Now you will never forget that one.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
you learned a valuable lesson. Now you will never forget that one.
Oh definitely.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 10:56:41 PM »
Don't wear Nomex for hot work, either. It doesn't melt and drip, but it does go ``poof'' and it's gone.  FR cotton is best.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 11:05:54 PM »
Don't wear Nomex for hot work, either. It doesn't melt and drip, but it does go ``poof'' and it's gone.  FR cotton is best.

And I was advised to wear Nomex flight suits when flying warbirds. The only precaution to take is to not launder it too much or it loses it's retardant properties.

Glad you avoided damage during your learning experience H&S. You don't need to go full welding leathers when grinding but know where your spark trail is going especially if you are in the garage. You found out cheap polyester work shirts are bad news when working with heat or fire. A denim shop apron works just fine as long as you pay attention and will save shirts.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 07:43:22 AM »
Fire ain't no joke. Cotton, cotton, cotton or leather. Plenty of leather type aprons on eBay and probably Amazon. Maybe not the longest lasting units but way better than a falling shirt or britches.
I have fr stuff from working in the oil field. Shists, britches and cover alls. Great for grinding welding and cutting.
Also cotton or leather gloves for hit work. Those mechanic type gloves are great until it melts to you. No fun at all. Gloves are cheap compared to hands.
Take good care of your parts they are hard to replace.

Be safe out there.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:49:43 AM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 03:03:31 PM »
Although not the same, "Don't start fires with gasoline" as the results can hurt.  The scar tissue on my left arm has not let me forget.  I burn a lot of brush piles on the ranch after cleanup of fence line and found that used motor oil is the best.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 05:13:09 PM »
Fire ain't no joke. Cotton, cotton, cotton or leather. Plenty of leather type aprons on eBay and probably Amazon. Maybe not the longest lasting units but way better than a falling shirt or britches.
I have fr stuff from working in the oil field. Shists, britches and cover alls. Great for grinding welding and cutting.
Also cotton or leather gloves for hit work. Those mechanic type gloves are great until it melts to you. No fun at all. Gloves are cheap compared to hands.
Take good care of your parts they are hard to replace.

Be safe out there.
I hate that worthless velcro.
My favorite are the USGI leather gloves, they're real stiff till you break 'em in but they last quite well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 06:08:51 PM »
Although not the same, "Don't start fires with gasoline" as the results can hurt.  The scar tissue on my left arm has not let me forget.  I burn a lot of brush piles on the ranch after cleanup of fence line and found that used motor oil is the best.

Yes as I watched a guy throw gas out of a tin can on a fire he thought went out and watched how fast the flames went back to the tin can which he tried to throw away and the burning gas splashed on his arm. Had to load up the motorcycles and head for the emergency room.
I use a propane weed burner to light my brush piles but it is dry and easy to ignite.