Author Topic: How to remove Ethanol from gas  (Read 2045 times)

Offline jabberwoki

How to remove Ethanol from gas
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:19:47 PM »
I thought this was very interesting.

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline walrus

Re: How to remove Ethanol from gas
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »
Without watching the video, Easy add water, it phase shifts and all the ethanol drops to the bottom. But why would you do it? The remaining gas is junk as the octane is to low.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »
Interesting but I only burn ethanol free gas but I imagine you can't get that everywhere. He does add octane booster afterwards for what that is worth I don't know.

I have managed to burn nothing but ethanol free for the last 4 years and manage to find it within my traveling radius.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 06:02:22 PM »
It's why gas "deicer" is made with an alcohol. Moisture condensing in your fuel tank or a batch of bad fuel? The alcohol adheres to the water and carries it through the system to be burned and eliminated.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 08:48:06 PM »
I run E0 in most of my off road equipment. the local fuel distributor sells it, 93 octane.

One thing you can do with this procedure is check you are getting E15 or E85. just measure the water you add and see how much more it pulls out. a few times I've done it and we are pretty close to the 10% mark.

I had a hygrometer that measured %methanol, back when we was adding some good stuff to the race fuel. We were allowed 5% methanol and I made sure we never got DQ'd for that.

Offline walrus

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 05:26:53 AM »
I've repaired many locations that got water in their tanks containing E10. Pain in the ass. Pump all the phase shifted crap off bottom, add hydroburn and then top off tank with Super. Then clear lines and change filters. Its an expensive deal and station is down until you get it done.
https://henrichinc.com/shop/cim-tek-60069-hydroburnr-psr-55-gallon-fuel-treatment-drum.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwos-HBhB3EiwAe4xM9xd_lPOgUOR7BB-xJXO8-baPwMC8EK-RkYgQJrryRaAlq-rLHH90

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 09:35:02 AM »
Cool I wondered what they did when they got water in it. What do you do with phase shift water. I’m sure you can’t just pump it out on ground. Hazmat?

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 03:35:46 PM »
Cool I wondered what they did when they got water in it. What do you do with phase shift water. I’m sure you can’t just pump it out on ground. Hazmat?
Barrels go to Clean Harbors or whoever will take it. They probably dump it on the ground :)