Author Topic: Want to know how bad the automotive repair trade has gotten .......  (Read 378 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
......then watch this. This young technician lays it out eloquently and precisely. He's absolutely correct, because many of my long time friends in the business have been registering the same complaints for over a decade. I was a "mechanic" back in the 70's and 80's, and even back then I saw the writing in the wall. Best decision I ever made was to get out of the trade back in the 1980s.

I also know from experience that bringing your car to a dealership is usually not a good idea.

Offline slip knot

Re: Want to know how bad the automotive repair trade has gotten .......
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 01:42:07 PM »
I baled out of the trade in the late 80s. Industrial construction was way easier and much more profitable. I got tired of life on the road and jumped into the municipal market. Been there 30 yrs now.

The lack of tradesmen in all fields is going to be very problematic in the not too distant future. And those that are good at the trade will be able to name their price.

Most places are just now beginning to feel the effects of this labor shortage. My city used to lose people to the local industrial markets now we're losing people to Walmart. Why bust your ass in all kinds of crappy weather and be called out in the middle of the night for $20/hr, When Wallyworld will pay that for an inside job with no call out.
 Most people in upper management are completely disconnected from the hourly worker.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 03:02:32 PM »
HVAC started going crap in the 90's with the flood of China parts. Started my own business in 2002, as that was the only way to have any sort of life and make some money. Finally closed in 2016 and started working from home doing odds and ends and handiman work. COVID killed that, and haven't been able to find anything decent since. So, I'm kinda retired now.

A long time auto shop (been in business 59 years) closed last month, and I'll be darned if I can find anybody like them. Gonna be challenging getting repair and service work done on the wifes new car and my van.  :91:

Offline zeke

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 04:27:45 PM »
HVAC started going crap in the 90's with the flood of China parts. Started my own business in 2002, as that was the only way to have any sort of life and make some money. Finally closed in 2016 and started working from home doing odds and ends and handiman work. COVID killed that, and haven't been able to find anything decent since. So, I'm kinda retired now.

A long time auto shop (been in business 59 years) closed last month, and I'll be darned if I can find anybody like them. Gonna be challenging getting repair and service work done on the wifes new car and my van.  :91:

I was a contractor for 40 years and in the trades for over 50. I started as a fiberglass guy on the Queen Mary (Long Beach CA) restoration because I had a few years of FB experience in race car shops including the likes of Mickey Thompson. They put me in the painter's union because FB was a liquid in a can. Go figure, but what else, really? So after the QM job I learned to paint — fast, because I was installed in the union as a journeyman w/o an apprenticeship. I somehow made it 4 years until I realized how crooked the union was and I was not going to work steady w/o paying off the business agent. After 6 more years of painting I was doing so many repairs I built a room addition and never looked back.

That's just the background you need for the rest of the story. Somewhere along the way I got into installing doors and then windows. I got into the sales and installation of replacement doors and windows. That lasted 25 years with an interruption for the recession of '93 thereabouts. The Great Recession finished that business off and I too did handyman work. Now and then I'd land a big renovation of a wealth property and run the job as a working with tool belt on superintendent.

So, I was out there in the field everyday and could see what was going on. I installed around 5000 windows as a one man company with an occasional helper for patio doors, etc. I'd look over at a competitor that the owner wasn't working, just employees. I'd see 3 men to a truck and there I am alone doing almost as many windows per day.

Definitely retired now since having my right shoulder replaced. I started repairing antiques and collectables in 2014 as a side hustle before the term became popular. That's what I do now and work at my home shop.

Oh, wait, my garage! That's it, GARAGE.

I'll post a link in time but I don't want anyone to think I'm advertising.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 02:21:21 PM »
What a great video, I wish the general public would learn about the dealerships and how most mechanics get paid from him.  This is a subject where I’ve basically given his lecture to many folks over the years.

Very articulate and he sounds like he knows of what he speaks.

While this reply may be long for a post I can personally relate to nearly all of his main topics.

Although I only worked in a dealership for three years, it was after many years as a hobby mechanic; a career in the USAF as an electronics/computer tech, graduate from CISCO Networking Academy, two years at auto tech school and three ASE certifications obtained during school.  My wage there was just above those who could only do oil and tire changes but the service manager did give me a base salary unlike most who just got paid for their flag hours.  I do have the advantage of a good military retirement so thankfully my wages were not what put food on the table.  While a student I was able to take advantage of the Snap-On student discount to purchase a great toolbox and a fine set of mechanics tools.

I did like the GM training and learned a lot, both online and at the training center (now closed) but for most techs this was time not turning a wrench or getting paid so they avoided it.  I was able to finish all my ASE certs (of some value), GM master electronics and HVAC certifications which added about $.50 to my hourly wage.  It was also expected that we test to obtain our state inspector license and keep it current. Inspections paid .3 hours, yea 18 minutes; to retrieve the vehicle, scrape off the sticker, check the wipers, glass, lights, find the wheel lock key, raise it and remove one wheel to inspect brakes, wheel bearings, steering gear, tires and ball joints.  Then, if it passed, we had to type all the info into the computer, print out the inspection sheet, fill out the sticker, attach it to the windshield and return it to the service lane.  If it did not pass a different sticker was filled out and the customer had 10 days to fix it and bring it back for a reinspection of what failed.  No additional pay for the tech… Not worth it… :91:

With my electronics training and understanding of networks I became proficient using the GM scan tool and was able to use it, along with other electronic tools, for those hard to diagnose problems.  Of course this meant much of my work was on vehicles under warranty which means the flat-rate hours was about 1/3 less than customer pay and trying to get any additional diagnostic time was very difficult.  Like he said in the video, many of the mechanics would purposely avoid this work by staying ignorant of new systems and would pursue education on electronics so the tickets would come to me while they did the much of the gravy work.  Recalls worked much the same, I became particularly adept at a dash airbag replacement because of my attention to detail (from my many years on aircrew) and careful work on the dashes.

What really caused my break with auto repair was not the work, it was getting paid for it.  It was always a battle to justify the need for that extra diagnostic time.  I did not mind spending the sometimes hours to find that pushed-in or corroded terminal in a connector it was that my next job was an oil change and inspection on a used car with lifetime oil changes and inspections for .5 hours.   Many times I was on the phone with the GM TAC (technical assistance center) with issues in the infotainment system, airbags, HVAC - oh yea, not part of flat-rate.  We were also required to work every third Saturday which was a small crew of two or three mainly doing oil changes and state inspections.  Not a fun nor profitable way to spend a Saturday.  One of the phrases I heard a few times was that the service department paid the bills and sales was the profit for the dealership.

All in all I enjoyed the work which at time was very gratifying when you found that elusive problem and shared it with the other mechanics and sometimes GM or you had some customers who specifically requested you to work on their cars.  I left on good terms and visit the few mechanics left from my time periodically and the true parts guy who still gives me the employee discount ;)
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 06:51:28 PM »
Like any trade, There are good workers, there are mediocre, and there are bad. Today it is far better chance to come across the latter.. The automotive service industry has changed from the old time mechanics. And simply plug into the computer. Then replace a part. Two or three or more times until it's fixed. In the old days mechanics diagnostic instrument was a long wood handle screw driver. Placed between the ear and the engine. Then would replace the bearing or brush set in a generator. Not the whole generator.. 

My whole career was spent in manufacturing. And managed a plant that ran 24 hours by 7 days with 250 people. Most the employees were great workers with ten of more years with us. There was a revolving door for the slackers. Needless to say our shop looked like my personal home workshop... And had an overall customer rejection rate of less than .02%. Plus we had no personal loss time injuries in my 50 plus years. Yet I know a few of my competition lost lives in their plants!  Safety first, I would never ask anyone to do anything I would be willing to do or did myself.

I digress  Going back to employees. Some employees will never be happy. They may have the ability (or think they do), but simply don't fit in. Job hoping every few months. Then I have to ask myself. Why do the vast majority of my workers been with us over ten, twenty, or even thirty  years then?     

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 07:17:49 PM »
You are correct the service industry does not know. How whatever they repair works, and thus can't troubleshoot, & find problems.

Parts swappers that cherry-pick components until it works, never finding the root cause.

1776 ................... what happened!

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 10:22:30 AM »
I spent portions of my career as the person who answers the technical hot line and, more often, as the service engineer who came to the dealership to help fix the unfixable.

Today's technicians don't have a chance. I have it on good authority (from friends still in the industry) that the cars are now so complex that even the engineers who designed them have difficulty diagnosing. Training is basically a joke. It is practically all virtual and is only geared to reading and interpreting codes. The only option really open to a modern technician is to recover the codes and follow the "fault tree."

Add to that an antiquated flat-rate pay system that rewards quantity, not quality, and certainly not thoroughness and we have the making of a "perfect storm." I'm really not sure what's on the horizon for auto repair, especially warranty work.

Lou Manglass