Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 687864 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #720 on: April 01, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
$.78  :D I see you spare no expense when it comes to safety :D

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #721 on: April 01, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
Cut up a perfectly good shelf.

I was looking for a couple easy/relatively inexpensive 6' workbenches. After 2 months of nothing on CL, I broke down and bought this pallet rack style (only in looks; it's made of the finest rolled beercan material) shelf for $150 and then took the suicide wheel to it.

I'm putting a 2x6 and 3/4 plywood top on it so I used one of the mesh shelves welded to the legs to re-stiffen it up. The welder was a little overkill. .045" NR211 fluxcore out of the suitcase off the XMT304. Jumper cables, a battery, and 1/16th 6011 would probably been quicker to drag out lol.

Of course nothing ever goes easy. My tablesaw is 220V and I didn't have NEMA 6-20 extension cord, so I had to whip one up. Garbage freight 12ga cord with the ends hacked off. Spliced into the box on the other end. My electrical engineer buddy just groans when I send him pics like this. I told him I was Mr. Safety because I sprung the extra 78 cents for the outlet box so I didn't get bit picking it up.  :))

It went to raining so the project is postponed until that quits for a day (probably July here in the PNW).

Greyson

Why ? That isn't that a water proof box, cannot tell with the picture angle used........LAMO,  I will buy new unit and rebuild for my needs. Buying materials to build, sometimes is the least best option
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #722 on: April 01, 2019, 06:31:19 PM »
The box and the rain are unrelated. I was set up outside working and just packed it all away until the sun comeback out. Typical Oregon fashion. Not much gets done outside here between OCT and JUN.

That's just a standard stud mount box. No seal, coverplate, strain relief, or any of that osha crap. lol

I thought about building from scratch, but knowing myself as well as I do, they would have come out weighing 700 lbs each and cost $1k to build.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #723 on: April 01, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
I really like those racks from Costco. I had bought one and ended buying three more on sale for $125 each. I used one post between sections and only three shelves per section and ended up with four sections out of the deal so I have four across the back wall of the shop and one in the garage. With less shelves per section they hold large totes and big boxes better.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #724 on: April 02, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
The box and the rain are unrelated. I was set up outside working and just packed it all away until the sun comeback out. Typical Oregon fashion. Not much gets done outside here between OCT and JUN.

That's just a standard stud mount box. No seal, coverplate, strain relief, or any of that osha crap. lol

I thought about building from scratch, but knowing myself as well as I do, they would have come out weighing 700 lbs each and cost $1k to build.

Greyson
I know that ................
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #725 on: April 02, 2019, 07:21:40 AM »
Smacked a deer last night coming home from visiting my 94 year old Mom.  Thankfully I was driving Mama's 01 Mazda mini van and not my new truck.  Broke the headlight and turn signal lights, cracked the bumper cover.  Didn't see other damage but it was dark and not really worried about it.  Hopefully comprehensive coverage will cover it but either way about the most its going to get is a new headlight and turn signal. 

I really like having an old beater to drive for errands and local jaunts.  If it gets hit, dinged, run off the road or whatever, you don't lose much.  You can park it anywhere and not worry.  I often don't even bother locking it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #726 on: April 03, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
Smacked a deer last night coming home from visiting my 94 year old Mom.  Thankfully I was driving Mama's 01 Mazda mini van and not my new truck.  Broke the headlight and turn signal lights, cracked the bumper cover.  Didn't see other damage but it was dark and not really worried about it.  Hopefully comprehensive coverage will cover it but either way about the most its going to get is a new headlight and turn signal. 

I really like having an old beater to drive for errands and local jaunts.  If it gets hit, dinged, run off the road or whatever, you don't lose much.  You can park it anywhere and not worry.  I often don't even bother locking it.
That's exactly why I daily commute with the Plymouth. People know you don't care what happens in a $500 car compared to there $30,000 car!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #727 on: April 04, 2019, 09:37:50 PM »
Spent the past few days helping get this baby up and running. New SCADA systems are always fun. one PLC down one to go. Switching from Wonderware to Ifix so I got a big learning curve ahead.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #728 on: April 05, 2019, 10:13:00 PM »
was going thru the phone today downloading project pics and ran across these.  :D 

Pure genius.  :D

Offline walrus

« Reply #729 on: April 06, 2019, 04:35:44 AM »

That's exactly why I daily commute with the Plymouth. People know you don't care what happens in a $500 car compared to there $30,000 car!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Oldest car goes first  ;D

Offline Rural53

« Reply #730 on: April 12, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
So this turned up at my place this morning. 460ci Donovan sprint car engined 4wd Class 8 (Open truck class).

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #731 on: April 12, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
Beauty!!! --

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #732 on: April 12, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
Wow Rural53 is it yours or you had to inspect it?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #733 on: April 12, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »
Pulled apart our 17 year old Whirlpool washing machine today. Trying to find the problem, see if it's minor or if we need a new one.
Following the advice of a utube vid I got the tranny out and apart, cleaned out all the old oil, inspected teeth, clutch pads, etc and reassembled with fresh 90w gear lobe. Put the whole thing back together, and tried washing a load of shop rags. Agitated fine, but wouldn't spin or drain and motor had a loud hum. Removed the pump so I could watch the motor shaft - it's trying to spin but sputters. Run cap good and pump not restricted - must be something in the tranny and/or the motor is just plum wore out.  Then discovered hardened varnish in the motor base. Overheated windings. So, off to buy a new one.

But I thought the exercise was a good one. Learn something new everyday.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #734 on: April 12, 2019, 06:30:12 PM »
Wow Rural53 is it yours or you had to inspect it?
Unfortunately only visiting to get scruitineered and tagged for the first National Round next weekend. I don't possess enough fun tickets to run something like that!

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk