Author Topic: Cleaning old vintage tools.  (Read 3447 times)

Offline woody 73

Cleaning old vintage tools.
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »
I know their are hundreds of products out there and I know the old to clean or not to clean vintage tools ideas also out there.
I myself tend to leave that old vintage tool alone unless, rust is starting to take its course and then I try my best to lightly take away any rust,
just to preserve it for the next generation to enjoy.

The following post story has two very nice links for you to look over, the first link is a short video of just one product, (out of many) to choose from.
The second link is just the place to buy the product in question. Mind you I am sure most of you use different techniques all of which are all good, this is just an example of one product out there.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418067

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Cleaning old vintage tools.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »
That is some pricey product there and it is not re-usable. I just drained my EvapoRust container I use for larger tools. I drained over a gallon out and strained it through paper towels. There was a ton of rust residue in the container that I cleaned out. I let the ER settle out overnight and when I refilled the container this morning the stuff was fairly clear. More tools are soaking now and should come out nice but may need to be hit with a brass brush.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »
 My method is to just wire wheel the rust off with a good wire wheel, generally the steel wire brush is softer than the tool and doesn't scar it up or anything but a brass brush is an even safer bet.
Of course I don't have any truly antique tools, and just wanna remove the rust from a tool so I can use it.I take care not to bear down too much so I can leave behind the patina.

For true antiques I'm not sure what I'd do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline woody 73

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »
DeadNutz

Expensive yes.
Other ways to clean up the tools yes.
Can not be re-used No.
Can it not only clean up the rust but clean up wood ,Yes.
Can the evaporust treat the wood, I don't think so ?