Author Topic: Let's see your diy knives  (Read 279 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Let's see your diy knives
« on: May 23, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »
I've made knives before and and have others around somewhere if I can find them, but this was the first using my new cheapo HF 1x30 belt sander I picked up Monday.
6" long , with a 2.5" blade.
Made from a worn out Nicholson 6" mill bastard.

For some reason I had trouble staying consistent with the pricking iron on this one so the stitching isn't very even, but it's definitely functional.
One day I'll have more tools than i'd ever need and still not have every tool I need.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Let's see your diy knives
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:21:45 PM »
i missed this earlier, nice job. not a big fan of guys making knives from weird stuff but i like this one.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Let's see your diy knives
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
i missed this earlier, nice job. not a big fan of guys making knives from weird stuff but i like this one.
Thanks .

Btw, files are weird stuff ?
Files and rasps have been used to make knives since the frontier days, if someone needed a good knife it was very common to take an old rasp or file to the local blacksmith to be turned into a knife

There's a guy on YouTube who makes knives from all kinds of vintage wrenches that are still good .
Rigid pipe wrenches , plomb combo wrenches, you name it.
If it's old and has some rust he seems to think it's worthless as a tool and has no problem destroying it.
The knife designs he comes up with are often stupid too.
One day I'll have more tools than i'd ever need and still not have every tool I need.