Author Topic: Chrome Sockets  (Read 814 times)

Offline GNAP

Chrome Sockets
« on: October 27, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
Over the years I transitioned from primary use of chrome sockets, to basically using impact sockets for about everything. I have 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" drive impact sockets, they now seem to be my go to sockets. I have boats loads of chrome sockets in all drive sizes, except for 1/2" drive deep sockets. About 35 years ago, to keep the weight down in the service van, I used only impact sockets for everything. They practice seems to followed me back to the shop. I have times where I need thinner sockets, but that's been a rare occurrence. I thought about buying a set of SAE and Metric Icon brand 1/2" drive  deep sockets from Harbor Freight, just to have on hand.
jack

Offline highland512

Re: Chrome Sockets
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 07:42:05 AM »
When it came time to outfit my 3/4 socket set I went with impact. I was able to put together a set up to 2-3/8 for pennies on the dollar and dont have to worry about busted sockets.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »
Chrome sockets sure do have there place, did not know there were 1/4 impact.

Once again proving I don't know everything

Pep
KAG < keep the ball rolling ya'll

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:02:13 PM »
Platty, certainly made sense saving weight in the truck.  I am sure you did more then your fair share of heavy work over the years.  I use mainly chrome, don't even carry an impact gun on the truck but have impacts in 1/2, sae and metric for working on trucks in the shop.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »
I was looking at buying a set of metric 1/4" swivel sockets , but  ended up getting a set if 1/4" impacts swivels at a swap meet instead. I use my cordless impact with most of my 1/4" sockets .

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
So many of the modern HVAC techs are using cordless drills and impacts that chrome sockets are virtually non-existent in their tools. I still use them when I work on evap coolers due to the rusting issue. But I'm a rare bird.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 05:52:46 PM »
Chrome sockets sure do have there place, did not know there were 1/4 impact.

Once again proving I don't know everything

Pep

Pep,

My set of Grey Pneumatic 1/4" drive impacts (4mm - 15mm, 3/16" - 9/16", shallow and deep) (I have 6 sets) and my 1/4" drive pneumatic tools.

jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »
That looks like a great set to have Jack.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:16 PM »
I just run the chromes on the impact. ;D  I only have 1/2in. drive in impact. everything else the chrome gets run.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 01:54:16 PM »
I used this SK impact 1/4" drive set every day when I was in the Chevy shop, the swivels were very useful.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »
Nearly 30 years ago, I was looking for a set of 1/2" dr. metric impact sockets. The MAC guy came around, and I asked him what he had. He only had a chrome set. I told him I was looking for impacts.

He told me they were the same as impacts, only chromed. LOL, OK. I bought them.

I broke every one of them except the 12 and 16 mm. Probably because I never used those LOL.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 05:51:50 PM »
My 2 sets of the Grey Pneumatic 1/4 drive impact extensions arrived today
jack