Author Topic: Thoughts on Iran  (Read 4436 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Thoughts on Iran
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:23:46 PM »
War or no war?
Assassination  right or wrong?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline ken w.

Re: Thoughts on Iran
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »
Screw Iran. Glad he's dead.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 08:15:02 PM »
stole this from another site.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
I don't mind my taxes getting spent on Hellfire missiles. Those things are awesome!
Assassinations are taking out a political figure. Killing that general was eliminating someone responsible for killing and maiming many American soldiers with Iranian supplied IEDs. That was a pretty big casket considering they probably only had a few small pieces and ashes to put in there.
Glad he was taken out and I don't think it will lead to all out war but maybe a few skirmishes.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:36:27 AM »
My thoughts are expressed in the attachment.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 08:57:11 AM »
If the end times don't come quick, a war with Iran and extreme muslims is inevitable regardless of taking out this general or not. 

I don't disagree with killing him but like so many of Trumps actions, it could have been handled better. 

I do believe it will embolden Iran to attack us whenever and however they get the opportunity and they certainly don't play fair.  But, they likely would be doing it anyway, just not as soon.  Perhaps it is better to get it over with now.

I think a lot of the western world is getting pretty tired of extreme Muslims and a holy war is going to happen.  Just a shame, a lot of people are going to die.

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
It wasn't a assassination, he was a general in a conflict area (I think the world can see that an Iranian general in Iraq is a foul move). I think that a this is a war that will happen and is a long time in the making. I also think Iran will stand no chance but will play dirty once there back is against the wall, dirty nukes and chemical/nerve agents will be used.   

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 01:13:49 PM »
I have to. O:-)
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »
If the end times don't come quick, a war with Iran and extreme muslims is inevitable regardless of taking out this general or not. 

I don't disagree with killing him but like so many of Trumps actions, it could have been handled better. 

I do believe it will embolden Iran to attack us whenever and however they get the opportunity and they certainly don't play fair.  But, they likely would be doing it anyway, just not as soon.  Perhaps it is better to get it over with now.

I think a lot of the western world is getting pretty tired of extreme Muslims and a holy war is going to happen.  Just a shame, a lot of people are going to die.

What did Trump do wrong?  I thought it was executed perfectly.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »
What was the to Iranian general doing in Iraq anyway? He sure wasn't delivering roses!
He stepped off the plane in a warzone - after the declarations he's made - then he's fair game.  >:(

Iran has been pushing it for a long time - it was time to hit 'em hard. They took those American sailor hostage, they do PT boat attack runs on our ships, they shot down the expensive drone, they support Hezbollah. Plus I don't think they ever fully paid for the Iran crisis back in 1979. 

But taking out Salimani probably will start a wider conflict - which the military industrial complex wants - and Trump campaigned he'd end!  ::)

I guess what I'm saying is tactically it was perfect but strategically it's probably going to come back to bite us.

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 07:04:27 PM »
looks like its on

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »
looks like its on

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not just yet. The "so-called" missiles targeted three US facilities, but they are not hitting populated sections of those facilities. This is nothing more than a show of "saving face" for the folks back home in Iran. Their leadership knows that if they cause American casualties, the consequences will be immense. Right now it's a political game with one side trying to position the other side into pulling the trigger, with the goal of being able to claim righteous retaliatory indignation on the world stage. For that to work, the Iranians need to pull other middle eastern nations into the conflict -- logically they would prefer Israel.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 08:53:52 PM »
"It will increase tension with Iran"
"It will shut down negotiations with the Palestinians"
What has changed?

The general was designated a terrorist, in uniform, fomenting terror against us for many years with the blood of many Americans on his hands.

His demise was long overdue.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 10:05:16 AM »
"It will increase tension with Iran"
"It will shut down negotiations with the Palestinians"
What has changed?

The general was designated a terrorist, in uniform, fomenting terror against us for many years with the blood of many Americans on his hands.

His demise was long overdue.

The Quds force is run like a criminal entity -- akin to the mafia. In that sense, the general probably had access to secret funds and accounts that only he was privy to. He amassed power by controlling people and money; the details of which he probably kept very secret. Hence, when he died, a lot of those funds/accounts are now in limbo. It will now be hard for his subordinates and/or the government to access those funds -- which is a good thing!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:06:54 AM by goodfellow »