Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 717799 times)

Online slip knot

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #870 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
6 burners . wow that's a lot of room. I bought a 3 burner Weber @10yrs ago and its works great. We use it at least 2x a week year round. I've got a bigger charcoal grill for briskets and such but its hard to beat gas for quicky steaks and burgers.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #871 on: July 21, 2019, 05:44:04 PM »
It also appears that the car might only be held up with a jack????
How can you tell that when you can't see under the car?

It is sitting on a block under the axle, plus I showed him the trick of putting the wheel under the sill in case it falls off the jack (if you are changing a tyre and don't have anything to support it with).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #872 on: July 21, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
Look at the picture, all you can see is the wheel of a jack, I said it appears, not that it didn't have additional support.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #873 on: July 22, 2019, 08:03:29 PM »
Nice winters day today. On site a couple of kilometres from the office to check on repairs to a footbridge over the expressway.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #874 on: July 22, 2019, 09:19:28 PM »
Gorgeous weather. Not bad for winter.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #875 on: July 25, 2019, 04:11:10 AM »

In the office all day. After work went to a lecture at the new Waikato University campus in town. It was held by the local branch of Engineering New Zealand, my professional body. Graeme Frew spoke, he has raced his unlimited class Yak-3 at the Reno Air Races in 2017 and 2018.

In the early 1990's, following the discovery of original engineering drawings and jigs from late model Yak 3 production, twenty aircraft were built to the original design but utilized modern materials. Various engine types were considered including the original Russian V-12 Klimovs and the RR Merlin before the builders settled on the V1710 series Allison. This engine was selected because it was very close in power, weight and external dimensions to the extremely rare Klimov.

Graeme's Yak 3 was first registered to well known Reno race pilot Tiger Destefani in 1996 before being sold on later in the year. The aircraft was raced at Reno a number of times but unfortunately it was crashed on take off at Reno in 1999. Luckily the owner though injured made a full recovery, testimony to the strength of the design.

Graeme purchased the aircraft as a project in 2004 and had it shipped to Omaka Airfield at Blenheim. A full overhaul of the airframe and engine and all systems was completed by Jay McIntyre's JEM Aviation over a four year period. During the rebuild a second seat was incorporated under it’s own sliding canopy so that the experience of flying in this high performance fighter could be shared. The Yak first flew again in March 2012 and a week later débuted at Warbirds over Wanaka.   

In 2017 raced as a rookie winning the bronze race, then the silver race to race in the Gold Final, finishing seventh. They went back in 2018, having the aircraft delivered to the pits in Reno in a 40' container. They spent 12 days assembling it, raced coming seventh again in the Gold Final, disassembled it and shipped it back to NZ.

If you have a couple of grand you can go for a ride  in it. http://fighterflights.co.nz/warbird-flight-options/

Edit: The 35 race number is in honor of Burt Munro  a New Zealand motorcycle racer, famous for setting an under-1,000 cc world record, at Bonneville, 26 August 1967
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:53:59 AM by Rural53 »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #876 on: July 25, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »
Some tooling came in, as another year passes. Time to buy a present, first is a fly cutter 3/8 tool bit. It can machine a 4in surface with a single pass. Very handy for squaring all 6 sides of a cube.

Next Cleveland tool blanks, I have played with the carbide index tooling for the lathe. I think the HSS tooling will work the best for the machine. I can grind a profile on both ends, and hone or resharpen them with a regular stone. Pretty sure the tool bits will be fairly stiff and not flex ........ LMAO

Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Online slip knot

« Reply #877 on: July 27, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »
98 Dodge Ram radiator R&R. Simple little job...until I get to the windshield washer reservoir. Its hung on the side of the fan shroud almost covering the upper shroud bolt. I tried pulling it up and it wouldn't come off. Told myself to stop before I hurt myself. So I took the shroud bolt off with a 10mm open end. 10 minutes. once the shroud was loose You can see the reservoir is held on by a dimple inlet into the shroud. Well I'll just pop it off for re-assembly. One hand pulling up and one hand pushing on the dimple and up it pops... right into my forehead... and Im bleeding like a stuck hog. I knew that bastid was gonna hurt me...  >:( >:(

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #878 on: July 28, 2019, 10:11:29 PM »
Worked, bought some tools at a yard sale, and did some plinking out the back door with two recent airgun acquisitions.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #879 on: July 29, 2019, 10:28:54 AM »
Sat around doing nothing all day Sunday except for taking pictures of birds in the back yard.

Cardinal Pair by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr

Cardinal Eating by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr

Cardinal on Fence by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr

Blue Jay with Attitude by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr

Also shot a pile of bricks-

Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline muddy

« Reply #880 on: July 29, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »
Saturday night took Dad down to the local pulling track. He hadn't been there in 30+ years since him and his cousins quit pulling.

It was legend's night, alot of the old pulling tractors that got the sport started were there. This included dad's cousins tractor "Black Magic".

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:35:17 PM by muddy »

Offline muddy

« Reply #881 on: July 29, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »
Sunday I led a ride for my motorcycle club for hot dogs and ice cream.

Online slip knot

« Reply #882 on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »
Those are some cool old pullers. good to see them still around.

The first tractor pull I went to was in a little podunk town, Bay city Texas. The little civic center was maybe 100yds long. The pull started at one door and went out the other door. The first dragster style puller had some zoomy headers and when he lit it off it blew all the insulation off the ceiling. looked like it was snowing. ;D

Offline muddy

« Reply #883 on: July 31, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »
Yesterday we found out what to expect in December....

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #884 on: July 31, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »
"Jackpot!!" -- one of each!  A BIG congrats to you and Mandy.