Author Topic: The short sellers have finally called a pull-back  (Read 10549 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: The short sellers have finally called a pull-back
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
Gun/ammo sales are up in Delaware -- over 4000% -- that's not a typo. Sales are through the roof in NJ, CA, IL, MI, WA, OR, and MD; all deep blue states. My real fear is that all these new guns are now in the hands of many people (mostly Democrat in demographic) that have NEVER had any instruction/training on safety, shooting, and general handling of a firearm. That makes some people potentially very dangerous; not only to themselves, but also to their families and the public.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/data-study-ammo-sales-hit-163000108.html

I embarrassingly admit to having a sense of "Schadenfreude" when out of the blue several very liberal colleagues and even some close friends have called me for advise on the purchase of a firearm. These folks used to lecture/admonish me (albeit in a friendly manner) on my open association and support of the NRA and my shooting hobby. They are now gun owners, but have no clue as to what practices and protocols must go along with such ownership.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:58:27 AM by goodfellow »

Offline highland512

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »
If your patient you will be able to buy some of those gun from your blue friends "used" still covered in factory oil.

Our big thing here is the TP situation. Good on groceries, meat, milk, and eggs but no TP. One of my suppliers at the job site thinks he can get his hands on some commercial grade stuff but I dont want to be stuck with 96 rolls of john wayne wipes.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 10:44:18 AM »
If your patient you will be able to buy some of those gun from your blue friends "used" still covered in factory oil.

Our big thing here is the TP situation. Good on groceries, meat, milk, and eggs but no TP. One of my suppliers at the job site thinks he can get his hands on some commercial grade stuff but I dont want to be stuck with 96 rolls of john wayne wipes.

Went shopping yesterday and the shelves were full at Walmart and Costco. Not like a few months ago when they were brimming, but supply was there. I also noticed that people were buying just a pack or two of TP and tissues, versus the panic buying over the last two weeks. Maybe this is a sign that people are realizing this "Panic" is just another MSM headline grabbing crock of dung.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 12:06:09 PM »
I think that women more than men worry about a shortage of TP. We have plenty but the wife ordered two 6packs of TP along with the groceries from WM. They are out of all meats except lunchmeat and no eggs. I'm not worried about the meat as we have plenty in the freezer plus we have several thousand cows in the valley. Well, back to clearing a foot of snow.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2020, 12:14:30 PM »
One of the great financial minds of our time - the late great John Bogle (founder of the Vanguard Index Family of funds) once noted that when there is a market panic you should “.. don’t just do something, but just stand there!” Given these last two weeks, his advice is timeless. Bogle more than anyone made a lot of middle-class investors rich, and he followed his own advice.

Assuming you have a diversified portfolio and you don’t absolutely need cash to survive, stay the course and ride it out. Probability for success is on your side.

The fact that Dems and Repubs are working together in DC to address this crisis is a very positive sign, and the market is responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »
I think that women more than men worry about a shortage of TP. We have plenty but the wife ordered two 6packs of TP along with the groceries from WM. They are out of all meats except lunchmeat and no eggs. I'm not worried about the meat as we have plenty in the freezer plus we have several thousand cows in the valley. Well, back to clearing a foot of snow.
Got that right! Women can go through a pack of TP at an amazing rate. My friend has four daughters and he has always lamented the fact that the most purchased commodity in his household is TP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator

Offline highland512

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 07:50:20 AM »
I went to the third ring of hell formally known as walmart yesterday. People are acting silly, of course TP was gone, eggs where very light (which is lame since our county is a huge egg producer), milk was good, fresh meat was nearly all gone (one young woman was standing there crying because all of the fresh chicken breast where gone, meanwhile the frozen section had all kinds of them), pasta is gone, and popcorn was gone. Worst of all the Busch Light and Mountain Dew was out of stock................. As for my house we are good, 96 rolls of TP where sourced from one of my suppliers.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2020, 08:27:17 AM »
It's getting better around here. Wife went to the grocery store yesterday and reported that everything was pretty much in stock. Meat section was a little low, but everything else seemed OK. I went to Wallyworld to get some oil and Lacquer thinner and the place was stocked to capacity. Still can't get hand sanitizer or Clorox wipes (or any other wipes for that matter), but the food isle was OK and the TP isle was well stocked.

I think people are over the initial panic, and just settling in for the prolonged boredom that is associated with social distancing and new-normal work/school stoppages.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2020, 12:08:03 PM »
I went to the grocery store this morning at 7am as they only allow seniors from 7-8am. Milk and dairy are well stocked but the paper goods aisle was thin but I snagged the last 24 pack of TP and a 6 pack of good paper towels. I did get a bottle of Lysol spray but no wipes of any kind. Egg case was totally full and produce was well stocked. They are limiting certain purchases to 1 item so I will go back Wednesday. A much better experience than the last 2 weeks.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »
It seems I have to hit a couple of stores to fill my grocery list.  Haven't seen toilet paper for 2 weeks or so but I was well stocked before the crisis hit.  Bought a big bundle at BJ's a month ago just because we needed it.