Author Topic: Rockwell Milling Machine One-Shot Oil System  (Read 3566 times)

Offline GNAP

Rockwell Milling Machine One-Shot Oil System
« on: June 16, 2020, 06:56:53 AM »
On the Rockwell vertical milling machine, because of the way its built, lubing the Z (knee) way is very easy so are the Y ways on the table, but the X ways are a chore. Your trying to lube the underside of the table, hardly a clean or effective way IMO.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I saw an inexpensive one-shot lube pump, that ended up being about $50, with shipping and sales tax. While I was waiting for the pump, I disassembled the table off of the mill and proceeded to drill my oil passages, cleaned the way and gib and lube the pieces and reassembled the mill and adjusted the gib.

I ran all of the necessary piping on the mill, made the line orifices and left a flexible whip, to connect to the pump, allowing for the table Y movement. Today, I was working in a yogurt and cottage cheese plant, on arrival home the pump was setting on the kitchen table. The pump was piped for 3/16” tubing, I was running 1/4” tubing, retapped the pump outlet fir 1/8” pipe. I mounted the pump on the mill knee, connected the flexible whip, filled full of Vactra 2 way oil, and gave it 3 pumps and I had oil at the orifice fittings, two more pumps and I had oil on the X ways. So another successful job in the shop.
jack

Offline slip knot

Re: Rockwell Milling Machine One-Shot Oil System
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 07:46:49 AM »
That’s pretty cool. How often does it need to be lubed?   BAck in high school machine class we lubed machines with a squirt can made more of a mess than lubing the machines.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:02:53 AM »
Nice job Jack and the one-shot lube pump is the only way to go and uses less oil and less mess.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 09:26:06 AM »
I normally oil the ways, maybe once a month depending on the amount of mill usage, or if it starts to drag as I move the table or knee.
jack

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 07:39:02 PM »
That looks like a quality unit, what`s the brand a model?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »
That's pretty neat!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline GNAP

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 08:12:41 PM »
That looks like a quality unit, what`s the brand a model?

Jabber,

I bought it off the eBay store for Eisen Machinery, its a Chinese pump, made by Chen Ying, model #CLAB-8, it was roughly $40 plus freight.
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
I see you made your own orifices for the system. I've always used Bijur metering orifices as I have them in stock from maintaining the punch presses. The presses had Bijur automatic oilers that activated every stroke so the flow had to be tightly controlled so you didn't have a flood of sticky tackified way oil dripping off the machines.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 09:22:50 PM »
I see you made your own orifices for the system. I've always used Bijur metering orifices as I have them in stock from maintaining the punch presses. The presses had Bijur automatic oilers that activated every stroke so the flow had to be tightly controlled so you didn't have a flood of sticky tackified way oil dripping off the machines.

I took the 1/8” npt x 1/4” compression 90 elbow, I threaded the inside of 1/8” npt pipe thread, to accept a brass 1/4’-20 set screw, then drill the set screw with a .050” drill, to make the orifice fitting.
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »

I took the 1/8” npt x 1/4” compression 90 elbow, I threaded the inside of 1/8” npt pipe thread, to accept a brass 1/4’-20 set screw, then drill the set screw with a .050” drill, to make the orifice fitting.

I'll have to remember that Jack. What a great way to make your own orifices. Thanks.

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 07:42:15 PM »
Ta Gnapper.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?