Author Topic: The latest price increase trick: Tide laundry soap  (Read 2636 times)

Offline bonneyman

The latest price increase trick: Tide laundry soap
« on: August 30, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
Our new washing machine recommends soap pods instead of liquid detergent. So we've been buying the Tide Free and Clear pods as my skin doesn't like something in the traditional formula. (Besides, I don't like my clothes smelling like a flower shop!)
Anyway we've been buying this 81 pod container, and yesterday I came across a sale on that at the store we shop at. I didn't mention it to Holly, then later she said I should've said something, because - even though we still have half a container - that was a good price and we could have gotten it.
So - as is my practice - when I screw up, I fess up! I went back to the store today to get one while it was still on sale. Only the bucket said 72 pods - not 81. I looked and there were no other options, so I got it. Brought it home and pulled out our older bucket - they are the same size! Label is pretty much identical, colors are the same, just less product.
What a scam! Don't buy a new injection machine to make smaller buckets, so they save the capital investment and then people won't notice the smaller container and complain. Just change the label and basically raise the price 11% and most won't notice.  :91:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 01:10:15 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: The latest price increase trick: Tide laundry soap
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 03:20:54 PM »
<snip>
What a scam! <snip> Just change the label and basically raise the price 11% and most won't notice.  :91:

I think this is really the strategy. Don't change the container just put in less and charge the same and it's a hidden price increase. Been done with a lot of products.  I just hope they don't do it with gloves.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 06:02:10 PM »
Like the 3-pound coffee tin.   :-[
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »
1.5 qt ice cream containers  :91:

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 09:58:58 PM »
I was talking about this today, how back when the market crashed in 2008 and shortly thereafter, cereal manufacturers were selling smaller sizes but the boxes looked the same and they were charging the same amount or more.  Also noticed this with Orange Juice.  Standard size used to be 59 oz, but if you look closely, a lot of OJ juice containers look exactly the same but they're only 52 oz.   :a102:
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:05:00 AM »
1.5 qt ice cream containers  :91:

I just recently bought some Breyers and it was 1.43 qt. And the stuff ain't cheap, neither.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »
Crap, now I have to look, just bought some Breyers my self and thought it said 1.5

At least it was on sale for $3 a box

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »
Blue bells still a 1/2 gallon  :93:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »
Hope I don't kill your dessert, Phil. :lol_hitting:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 07:42:53 PM »
Just checked the box , 1.5 qt (1.41L)

Try to only buy it when the grandbabies are over.  About once a month or so.  Had a real nice visit this weekend. 10, 8, and 6 and they actually got along decently  :bravo_2:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 09:12:50 PM »
Just checked the box , 1.5 qt (1.41L)

Try to only buy it when the grandbabies are over.  About once a month or so.  Had a real nice visit this weekend. 10, 8, and 6 and they actually got along decently  :bravo_2:

Cool! Maybe I misread the liters as quarts.