Author Topic: Unusual Ratchets  (Read 53475 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Unusual Ratchets
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
A Husky double-pivoting, 1/4" finger ratchet. Very comfortable to hold and use - real nice for those offset jobs. Plus paid only a buck!  ;D

Cool idea for a ratchet. Question is, will you actually remember where to find it when that “offset job” comes along?

For me personally, this would probably turn into one of those special use or gadget type tools that never appear when I need it (or remember that I have it..... :() because it has gotten buried and lost in the back some rarely accessed tool drawer.... ::)

But.....I wouldn’t be too upset, if I only paid a buck..... O0

I think a tool like this would be really handy like around and under dashboards and other "blind" jobs. Once you get the socket on the fastener a little wiggle won't dislodge it due to the flexing capability of the ratchet.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
If I'm not mistaken those gimbal palm ratchets are made by gearwrench.
I've seen identical ones branded gearwrench for only about $12.
They're also available under Craftsman.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline AnsonJ

« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2018, 12:12:25 AM »
Heres my unusual Ratchet...

Sidewinder Corporation Ratchet.

Not sure where I got this, I bought it brand new about 20 years ago, I think at Wal Mart in the discount aisle, but I am not sure.  the build quiality is pretty decent.  I liked the idea of being able to turn the ratchet without having to move the arm.  the "T" at the bottom will twist and turn the actual ratchet, and you can move the "T" on its pivot as well.  Neat concept but due to the shaft going through the handle and the gears to allow you to turn the ratchet with the "T", the head on this thing is huge.  so while it helps in situations that you can't  move a handle back in forth, it is no good in situations where you don't have a lot of space between the bolt/nut and something else.  I have used it a few times  but most of the time if I don't have room to move the arm, I also don't have room for the huge head.

Anson
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
Here are a couple of mine. I’ve never been able to get any info on this early Facom Frankenstein ratchet. The Wilde is slightly less of a mystery.
-Don

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »
Those are quite unusual. I like!
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
No kidding! That patent drawing displays one heck of an internal mechanism!

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »
Here are a couple of beaver tail S-K made ratchets. The S-K marked one is 3/8” drive, the Chrome Alloy one is 1/4” drive.
-Don

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »
I really like that facom Vanchrome ratchet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline 3bay

« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
A recent addition to the collection.

Armstrong Special 3/8 drive in 1/4 drive NM-91 body.

I like that Facom too Hick.

Don, nice examples. I had a Wilde on Tool Archives. Those are unique.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:59:26 PM by 3bay »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »
Wow that is great. I find Armstrong hard to find but never have seen a compact 1/2 like that. Excellent find.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2018, 12:55:13 AM »
Here's a group I've been meaning to post for a while.

Top two on the keft are Gray. They may not be unusual in some places but around here they are most uncommon. U25 and 6V25. Hazet 836P, Armstring NM51(this one is very stiff not sure if it's just this one or typical of the model), Penens 1060, unmarked gearless, the Frankenstein is usually attributed to SK and it may be but I'm not certain who made it, Hinsdale H12M, Blue Point no model marked indexible, Snap-onT860MP indexable and Snap-on TSLF936 speeder.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »
Snap-on F734. Interesting little ratchet. It can be used as a short ratchet or it can be used as a sort of crowsfoot or offset ratchet. The three broached holes accept a 3/8 drive lug so it can by attached to a breaker bar or extension or even both. A long extension can be used in the rear broach fro leverage or a breaker bar. An extension can be used in the top or bottom broach to make an offset ratchet. Not an everyday tool but very handy at times.

Offline 3bay

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2018, 12:37:49 AM »
That’s a great bunch of 1/4 inchers as well. The 1/4 Gray with the round switch is one I haven’t run into before. Looks just like the early Bonneys. The Frankenstein is likely GM Co..

Since you brought up the Snappy ratchet head, this is an interesting 1/2 inch ratchet head, possibly by Armstrong. It looks similar and the plug is Armstrong.  I believe when I looked up the number it was listed as a Boeing tool.

Pictured with another WF-38-T by Plomb.

Offline 3bay

« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2018, 12:54:44 AM »
Co-op Deluxe. A real oddball. 1/2” dr.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2018, 02:03:31 AM »
3bay you have some seriously cool stuff. I really like that ratcheting crowsfoot. Looks pretty modern but the single pawl is not common anymore and the cone spring and pawl design are sort of Plomb but there are some differences.

That Co-op is pretty neat too.