Author Topic: Chicago Specialties Manufacturing Company  (Read 2914 times)

Offline bonneyman

Chicago Specialties Manufacturing Company
« on: March 13, 2021, 10:08:01 PM »
I've posted several tools from this company elsewhere but felt it was necessary to start a new thread dedicated to them so it's easier to find info and add pics.

A long time plumbing tools and supplies company that sadly went out of business in the 1990's. My recent plumbing woes have had me reaching for my plumbing specialty tools, and me wishing I had a few more of the CS tools. They made a valve seat refinishing tool that was just a beautiful piece of metal (#3119), and a seat installer set (#3100). Many older faucets didn't have replaceable seats - when needed you ground down the seat smooth with the refinishing tool. But after years of doing that there was no metal left. So, rather than replace the whole fitting, CS made this tool set that allowed you to tap threads into the existing permanent seat and then install replaceable seats in it! The faucets in my laundry room on my 50 year old house are of the permanent seat type. I really need to find that tool set - I don't want to have to rip the wall apart to install new faucets!

1953 catalog:   https://archive.org/details/ChicagoSpecialtyMfgCoCatalogNumberTwenty/page/n17/mode/2up

1940 catalog:   https://archive.org/details/ChicagoSpecialtyManufacturingCo.

A tub basket wrench #3024
A multi-lug wrench #3008
A faucet seat remover # 3143
A set of valve sockets #3068
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 04:07:09 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Chicago Specialties Manufacturing Company
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 10:12:53 PM »
I have some more of their tools.

A tubing cutter #3722
A 5/16" hex screw starter #3015
A 4-in-1 screwdriver #3090
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 04:19:35 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 04:42:26 PM »
Came across a hose bibb key in a pile of stuff. I never pass these up, as they have proven so useful in the past. Didn't see a manufacturer, only CS. Then it hit me - it could be Chicago Specialties! Yep, found it in their archived catalog. Their number 7981, sill cock key.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:03:06 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Mikebaker1129

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:48:31 PM »
I have the long hex screw starter.
I haven't found another like it until you posted a picture of yours !
I have found it very useful in starting screws on burner assemblies ,because it actually holds the screw and you can pull up on the round knob and then release the driver from the screw.
I picked it up from a guy selling military surplus a the Flea for a buck or 2.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »
I have the long hex screw starter.
I haven't found another like it until you posted a picture of yours !
I have found it very useful in starting screws on burner assemblies ,because it actually holds the screw and you can pull up on the round knob and then release the driver from the screw.
I picked it up from a guy selling military surplus a the Flea for a buck or 2.

Cool!

I've never seen another one like it. CS or anybody else. Glad to know mine isn't a fluke.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 12:51:50 PM »
Came across another CS tool. One of their aluminum-handled coping saws. #3330

The handle is kinda artsy, though I'm sure the protrusions and curves were meant to aid in grasping while using. Nice tool!