Author Topic: lazy gardening and farming.  (Read 17726 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: lazy gardening and farming.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 12:16:01 PM »
Wanting to try fried dandelions. You supposedly can eat the leaves (as greens), stem, and flower (battered and deep fried).

Of course, now I can't find a single one in my yard!  :D

Dandelions (not sprayed with weed killer) are perfectly safe to eat. I used to rent an old farmhouse from an old couple here in Kansas. One time I stopped to make my rent payment and watched the old woman pluck a dandelion from the yard and chomp it right down seemingly perfectly contented as she did so! I thought the old girl had gone goofy and do not recall the conversation that followed, but it left me with the impression the old girl was losing it mentally........
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
A few weeks later we have growth. 

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »
A perfect example here.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 11:25:47 AM »
So when will they be ready for transplanting? Looks like it's coming along quite nicely.

If I had tried that they'd be dead and the next two crops as well and I'd probably have had enough time to plant another that would be mostly dead by now as well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »
Looks like a grave yard
A few weeks later we have growth.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
I will start moving each as it gets about a foot tall.  They have to be seen over the tall grass where they will be planted.  We do not mow there as its a berm on an old ditch.

Nobody can kill these damn things.  Not even sn alien black thumb.  That is why I can grow them.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
My wife won't even let me water the plants when she visits her sister. She knows there will be less dead leaves if I don't touch them than if they don't get watered.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »
A lot of money has been spent in this part of the world trying to get rid of that stuff. Now people are starting to cultivate it

The old timers tell about using a pear burner on it during the drought of the 1950s. Cows would eat it  if you got the spines burnt off. it smells like boiling cat shit when your burning it. :( :(

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 06:19:22 PM »
... it smells like boiling cat shit when your burning it. :( :(

You make it sound so appealing.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »
There are areas in Mexico where food as most know it could not be grown.  The long history of peoples living there found other stuff that did grow and learned how to prepare it.

Coming from a fast food and plastic bag of stuff culture what they eat daily isn't my idea of food.
    The common element seems to drown it in chilis and cover the taste.k

There are folks walking around here selling toasted crickets with red chili powder yet.  I have only seen two people actually eat them.   

Offline walrus

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »
Wanting to try fried dandelions. You supposedly can eat the leaves (as greens), stem, and flower (battered and deep fried).

Of course, now I can't find a single one in my yard!  :D

Dandelions (not sprayed with weed killer) are perfectly safe to eat. I used to rent an old farmhouse from an old couple here in Kansas. One time I stopped to make my rent payment and watched the old woman pluck a dandelion from the yard and chomp it right down seemingly perfectly contented as she did so! I thought the old girl had gone goofy and do not recall the conversation that followed, but it left me with the impression the old girl was losing it mentally........
Back before food was trucked in from all over, Folks in Maine ate dandelion greens  as they were the first greens to show up when the snow melted. No one in there right mind eats any other part but the leaves and only the first thing in the spring. They are bitter even when young and tender. Emerging ferns called fiddleheads are eaten also. Again only in the spring

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2020, 06:26:49 PM »
A few years later the garden has changed a bit.  Roses, orange tree, date palm, royal palms and all manner of stuff I can't name.
All started from seeds  except the roses. 

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »
I haven't given up on growing in dirt but I have gone to some hydroponic growing. I start the seeds in the tubs like the blue one shown. and as the plants get big enough transfer them to the down spouts with a slice of pool noodle used to hold the stem with the roots down in the water/nutrient solution. Works great for greens for salads and such. Also do some tomatoes in the bucket with the water nutes solution.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:01:51 PM by TexasT »
Rich