Author Topic: Inflation and our economy  (Read 1405 times)

Offline fatfillup

Inflation and our economy
« on: October 27, 2021, 08:10:46 AM »
My wife informed me that she raised the price on pressure hose about $20 each for 100 ft hoses.  That's about 10%.  I have had 3 price increases on machines this year.  Can't quote parts prices without calling to get current prices as they can change with every shipment the supplier gets.  I have never seen prices go up this much in such a short period of time. 

Customers aren't bitching much as everything they buy is going up.

My concern is what is going to happen to the economy as this inflation starts to catch up with the money folks have to spend.  I know food has gone up as well as fuel.  If we have a cold winter, folks are either going to be hurting financially or be cold in their houses.  Couple that with what .gov is spending and I see our standard of living as a whole going down. 

All that being said, our sales are strong and getting equipment is tough.  We will have a good year and last year was decent as well, 

Crazy times we are living in

I am glad we are close to being done

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Inflation and our economy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »
Our firewood costs $325/cord now which is $25 more than last year. We just got 2 cords and the wife has ordered 2 more so we have close to 5 cords on hand to get us through the winter which may be a cold one. Delivered propane is already higher than the peak price last year at just under $3/gal with an even higher price at TSC. Our heating prices will be higher this year with majority of it wood as the propane is only used for the hot water and the furnace if we use that. We have an equal pay program with our power company so our electric bill is $88/month no matter our usage.

We buy a little extra at the grocery stores of items that are going up in price. We keep a good stock of canned and frozen goods just in case we run out of fresh food during the winter. I date items when they get here so we always know what to use first.

The wife deals with rapidly rising material costs every single day. She also has to spend a lot of time locating hard to find materials essential to their work. She just got a tip from a steel company that they were getting a shipment of large diameter heavy wall steel tubing that is critical to the work and the wife got the OK to order a larger quantity than usual. She also has to pay shipping from halfway across the country on this very heavy material. All these costs get passed to the customer which end up getting paid by utility rate payers and consumers of mining products like cement.

We want to buy a new truck but the old one will do just fine until things settle down. I went by the dealership yesterday and they had one truck in stock but the wife already checked online and it is the wrong color and options and a high price.

We had stability in prices for a long time and can take it for granted. I just don't know where it will ease off or if it ever will.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
The Mrs. needs a new car as her 2002 Century is starting to have those "age" problems. Of course with the COVID induced new and used car debacle now is NOT the time to be looking for a good used vehicle.
The car parts places can't get enough of the stuff they order. Motor oil and oil filters seems to be in short supply. Not every one - the shortage is make and model specific. I've always scrounged for filters for the van at thrift stores and such, so, I've got a couple in storage. Even though I don't change the oil anymore because of health issues I still grab that stuff figuring - if the mechanic can't get the oil and filter - maybe he would provide the labor and install my stuff. Just did the same thing for the Buick. Oil has been harder to get. Bought a 5 quart jug that turned out to be used oil. Almost walked away without noticing. Crazy.
Food prices on some items have shot up, but not all. Maybe it's a delayed reaction to the varying supply lines. I did notice prices in the pawn shops for tools have jumped. Sockets that used to cost me 25-50 cents are now $1, and the $1 Craftsman sockets have jumped to $2. I understand a dollar is not a "big" jump but a 100% increase on old, used sockets is noticeable.
Thankfully I don't have any kids, as I don't know how I would handle seeing them try and get started in adult life with this crazy crap going on. And winters here tend to be mild, so, NATGAS shortages and electric outtages aren't as criitcal as they would be in the summer. If we lost power in July-August it could be lethal.
Our city isn't one that had the big Floyd riots last year, and I haven't heard about the massive defund the police mantra here. But I know the cops are complaining about staffing issues and low morale. Overheard a team member at a Goodwill I frequent complaining she called 911 and after 15 rings hung up. No answer. So I'm figuring if things go South there ain't going to be anyone to call for help. I'm planning to be on my own.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
Let's Go Brandon!
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »
Just got back from Home Depot to buy some shelving lumber and pegboard for the garage.

1x10 - 8’ board = $22
4x8’ pegboard = $27

Rough 1x2 - 8’ pine strips = $3.65

The place was noticeably bare. Hardly any lumber to speak of, and the hardware section was almost devoid of common drywall screws.

Things are getting tight, and what is in stock is often double or triple the price is was back in early 2020.

“Let’s go Brandon”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 11:19:18 AM »
I use 1 x 2- 8' sticks in my target stands and they were 1/2 of that price a year ago.

Online muddy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »
I was just thinking about this the other day.

We just filled up oil in September, it's used for hot water and heat. I haven't turned the heat on yet. I gave a good supply of dry wood and split wood this year but it will need to dry. I'm thinking of getting some bagged coal to help the heat last through the night and then some compared to a wood fire.

Luckily with the family farm, chicken is the only meat we need to buy at the store.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 09:42:47 PM »
I have been watching this situation since last spring. I talked about it with my dad and reminded him of the crazy economy of the late 70s/early eighties. And back then they hadn't injected cash into the supply like this time around. Adding that much has consequences and I believe we are just getting started.
Then there is this situation of ships trying to dock and unload. Hard to believe this is planned but knowing what I do about the powers that be I think it is manufactured by limiting the trucks and their age. And then limiting the workforce by requiring the worker to be employed and not letting them be a contractor. Sure is a coincidence if it isn't planned.
Then we have this plandemic, a shooting by alec baldwin, a school board covering up two if not more rapes by a transgender individual, Epstein and his escapades and what ever else to take the headlines away from the fed and their crazy undertakings.
Where did I set that tin foil hat down. I really need to get it on my head.

We are in for a wild ride. I hope I have taken the correct and enough precautions to weather this storm and come out the other side.
Rich

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 09:50:36 PM »
Better put a hard hat under the tin foil hat as this could be a rough ride. :o