Author Topic: The dread of getting gifts  (Read 1200 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

The dread of getting gifts
« on: October 15, 2021, 12:00:17 AM »
I'm I the only one ?

Is it wrong to dread getting gifts from family and friends when you know they always buy towards your hobbies / interests which they know nothing about ?
They're buying things they think I would buy myself without actually knowing the particulars of them.

My aunt is good at buying interesting outside the box gifts that I enjoy discovering, but everyone else just gets me cheap Chinese gimmick tools and junk knives that I'd never buy in a million years.
That is unless they ask me and buy that thing, in that case I could have just bought it myself and it becomes just another object.

I appreciate that they were thinking of me and remembered my Interests, but theres a reason why I don't buy this stuff and I really can't force myself to love and appreciate junk i don't want or need just because it was a gift.

In my opinion the perfect gift is a pair of thick wool glovrs socks , it shows you were thinking of them but also truly care because you bought something to help them stay warm.

I much much prefer giving gifts than receiving them, because I like trying to get something they'll unexpectedly grow to love.

I never buy anyone something I wouldn't buy for myself ( except buying in my mom's favorite color ), and I try to share my interest with them by buying something I believe they can appreciate and find useful.
A tool, pocket knife, or say pocket flashlight that I believe they will find useful, hopefully it gets them interested in the hobby.
Or maybe just a nice jacket / coat, maybe some nice wool socks or gloves everyone can always use.
I don't know their hobbies like they do and know how particular people can be about those things , so I don't buy towards them.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: The dread of getting gifts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 01:12:58 AM »
Maybe you can ask them for a gift card to one of your favorite stores?
boop/bop/beep

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: The dread of getting gifts
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 02:27:13 AM »
Maybe you can ask them for a gift card to one of your favorite stores?
I've gotten gift cards before but in the end it's just like buying yourself something, I loved them when I was a kid though.
A gift doesn't really need to be something one would buy themself.

It's not like a feel cheated out of getting good stuff or something like that, I just dread being stuck with stuff and feeling bad that I don't really appreciate the item knowing that it was a gift from someone who cared enough to remember my interests when shopping.

I know my dad tried to appreciate the junk I got him when I was a kid, but I'm just so particular that it's hard to even try to find merit of any kind in many gifts I get.

Always lookin' to learn