Author Topic: HF swivel impact sets -- long-term review  (Read 7484 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
HF swivel impact sets -- long-term review
« on: August 14, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
These sets have been quite a surprise -- a good surprise at that.
Some years ago a well meaning friend gave me an HF gift card. It sat around for a few months until I saw a good sale on HF's Taiwanese swivel impact sockets. Long story short, I purchased the complete set of swivel impacts. Both SAE/Metric 3/8" and 1/2" drive -- deep and short versions. I received a very good deal --but even without the sale or coupon offer, these socket sets usually sell for less than $30 each. So they are in reach for most folks.

Bottom Line -- After many years of hard use, I'm very pleased with the performance of these tools.

Up until a few years ago I only owned a few sets of Tool Truck swivel impacts. My basic 3/8" SAE and metric MATCO and MAC sets were purchased in the 1970's, and given the prices (even at that time) I never was able to justify the purchase of any more sets. Over the years I did however research the offerings of other sellers/manufacturers like Sunnex, Grey, HF, and Sears. To my great surprise, I found that the HF, Sunnex, and Grey offerings were practically the same -- right down to the tooling marks, the lettering and fit/finish. All seem to be made by the same Taiwanese supplier --

Here for comparison is a 3/8" drive MATCO set from the 1970's (top) and the equivalent HF set (bottom)

Closeup shows that the fit/finish is pretty much even. The HF socket body is a bit more bulky, but that has not had a significant impact of the performance and useability of the socket. The swivel (pin type) and the angle of motion is practically the same. Both sockets are very smooth and provide a tight fit on the fastener

One GREAT thing to note on all these Taiwanese swivel impact sockets is that they incorporate the old Snap-on "Flank-drive" feature. The patent on that design must have expired. For impacts that is a good feature because it prevents "rounding" of fasteners, but more importantly provides for a quick release of the fastener. This latter feature is a great asset because heavy impact action will heat a fastener to a very high temperature and cause it to expand and get stuck in the bottom of the socket. If you're like me, you hate that problem with a passion because you're always wasting time trying to fish the nut/bolt out of the socket by tapping, bending or picking at it with a small screwdriver. The "flank drive" pretty much prevents this from happening -- thank you HF!!! :notworthy:

The 3/8" drive deep sockets are much larger and heavier than their "Tool Truck" cousins. That can pose a problem due to clearance issues around crowded fasteners, but that is a minor issue. I have used large 800ft.lb 1/2" drive Thunderguns on these and they have not deformed or galled in any way. They still fit tight and the drive end has not deteriorated to any great degree --

Needless to say, the 1/2" drive versions are of similar quality -- excellent fit/finish, and I admit that I have used these 1/2" versions with my 1100ft.lb 3/4" drive impact wrench. They took the punishment without deforming in any way. The sockets still provide a good tight fit after two years of hard use --

Again, the "flank-drive" is a great feature, and well worth the manufacturing effort --

Given the cost, and many years worth of relative hard use (not professional, only hobby), I can honestly recommend these socket sets as a true hobby garage guy "Value Buy". You won't find a better deal than HF -- even the same Sunnex and Grey versions sell for almost three times the HF asking price.